NYU Wagner Alumni e-News – February 2009
In This Issue:
You are cordially invited to NYU Wagner's 2nd Annual Alumni of Color Reception
All Wagner alumni are invited to join Dean Ellen Schall, Wagner faculty and current students for networking and fellowship on Tuesday, February 24 from 6:30 to 8pm. The event will be held in the Rudin Forum for Civic Dialogue at The Puck Building. RSVP online.
Leverage your Wagner degree to bolster your career or strengthen your organization - OCS is here for YOU.
The Wagner Office of Career Services offers many services to alumni - both as employers and as job seekers. In addition to the resources listed below, all are invited to our upcoming Career Expo and Networking Reception on Thursday, March 5 (see below for details).
- Alumni working at Public Service employers can use OCS resources to enhance your qualified candidate pools by posting employment & internship opportunities on our online career directory; raise your profile with peers and candidates by hosting a table at the Public Service Career Expo; streamline your hiring process and host on-campus informational or recruitment sessions and interviews; and tackle complex organizational issues through engaging a Capstone Team on an internal or external project. More info is available here.
- Job seeking alumni can brush up on their career development skills using OCS' "How To" guides on interviewing, resume and cover letter writing, and more; attend walk-in sessions for career advisement; tap into WAG-NET for informational interviews with alumni; search the career directory for the latest job postings; meet employers at the Public Service Career Expo; and meet professionals in the field at our Public Service Networking Reception.
- 2009 Public Service Career Expo - March 5, 3-6pm Metropolitan Pavilion South, 125 W. 18th Street. To see a list of employers present last year, click here. To attend as an employer organization, register for a table online.
- Public Service Networking Reception - March 5, 6:30-8pm
Connect with professionals who care about the issues you do from across the nation and beyond. Join alumni and students from NYU Wagner and seven other nationally prominent public policy and public affairs schools at NYU Wagner's Rudin Family Forum for Civic Dialogue in The Puck Building. RSVP online.
Events, Lectures and Regional Activities
For updated listings and event details, as well as RSVP information, click on the links below or see the Wagner Alumni Calendar.
State of the City 2009
02/11/2009 - 6:30 - 8:30pm
LGBTQ Alumni Council Kick-off Event. B Bar and Grill, 40 E. 4th St. RSVP to email@example.com or 212-998-6985.
Sons of Lwala Film Screening
2/11/2009 - 6:30pm
NYU in DC: Alumni Reception
2/25/2009 - 7pm
NYU in LA: Alumni Reception
Office of Career Services (OCS): Mid- to Senior-Level Job Postings
Wagner's OCS Career Directory is a great resource for alumni looking to take the next step in their career. Here is a sampling of mid- to senior-level postings online right now:
- Policy Director, Health and Human Rights,
Amnesty International (NY/DC)
- Assistant Director of Finance/City Controller,
City of Norfolk (Virginia)
Coalition of Behavioral Health Agencies, Inc.
- Senior Urban Planner/Landscape Architecht,
Ecos Environmental Design (Georgia)
- Executive Director,
Medicare Rights Center
Pratt Center for Community Development
Princeton Center for Leadership Training (New Jersey)
Log on to the OCS Career Directory for full job descriptions and application instructions online. Be sure to check the Career Directory regularly for a job posting perfect for YOU.
Alumni In Action - Public Service Spotlight
Each month, in our Public Service Spotlight, we profile a Wagner grad or a group of alumni doing outstanding work in the field. While you've read about individual alumni ranging from social entrepreneurs to deputy commissioners, from program coordinators to executive directors, this month the spotlight is on a group of alumni who are outstanding to us as a whole. Not only do they lead active, dynamic careers, but they also are active as career advisors on the Wagner Network, or WAG-NET. Read more about our alumni in action on the Wagner Network and how you can get involved.
Alumni Insights: Current Hiring Trends in Public Service
Share your insights with us!
Have you noticed any hiring trends in your field or sector in the current economic climate? Wagner is collecting stories about changes or trends in public service due to the financial crisis. Send us your observations or anecdotes by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "Alumni Insights" in the subject line.
Celebrate Valentine's Day and show your love for Wagner
This Valentine's Day, show how much you love Wagner by making a contribution to the Wagner Annual Fund. You can donate to Wagner online or by mailing a check (made out to NYU Wagner) to 295 Lafayette St., 2nd Fl., New York, NY 10012-9604. Remember to indicate that your gift should go to support the Wagner Annual Fund.
THANK YOU for the difference you make by supporting NYU Wagner.
Did You Know...?
Terence Cook (MPA-PNP '02) has returned to Fiscal Management Associates as a Consultant in their Consulting and Advisory Services. Congratulations, Terence.
Avra Siegel (MPA-PNP '07) has recently joined the Obama Administration as Special Assistant for the National Economic Council. Congratulations, Avra.
Doug Sudell (MPA-PNP '06) has been apppointed Chief Executive Officer of Hands on Hartford. Congratulations, Doug.
Sean Thomas-Breitfeld (MPA-PNP '07) has been promoted to Deputy Director, Idea Generation & Dissemination at the Center for Community Change. Congratulations, Sean.
Be in the next "Did you Know..."
In each issue of the Wagner Alumni e-News, we highlight alumni who are doing interesting work in the public sector. Please share your news with us at email@example.com!
Want to know what's going on at Wagner and with your colleagues? Sign up for the Alumni Listserv to get the Wagner e-News and other e-mail updates!
Tell a Friend and Tell Us
Please forward this edition of the Wagner e-News to others who may be interested, and send us your feedback and future topic ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org.