Wagner School Alumni eNews – October, 2004
In This Issue:
Making Art Possible: A Discussion on Public Policy and Private Commitment
Join us on Wednesday, October 6, from 6 to 8 PM, at the Puck Building for a discussion about the role that public/private partnerships play in New York City's cultural life and arts policymaking. The distinguished panel of private citizens and public officials will include Agnes Gund, President Emerita of The Museum of Modern Art and Chairman of the Mayor’s Cultural Affairs Advisory Commission, and will be moderated by Wagner Professor Ruth Ann Stewart. This event is free and advance registration is required. RSVP at wagner.nyu.edu/arts/, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 212-998-7546. The Puck Building is located at 295 Lafayette Street, 2nd Floor, New York City.
John Kerry Visits NYU Wagner
Democratic Presidential candidate John F. Kerry visited NYU Wagner on September 20 to deliver an address on the Bush Administration's handling of the war in Iraq. (Read more...)
Wagner Celebrates New Home with Urban Issues Debate Between Bush and Kerry Campaigns
On September 23, representatives of the Bush-Cheney and Kerry-Edwards campaigns kicked off a celebration of Wagner's new home at the Puck Building with a debate on issues central to the urban agenda, including health care, gun control, and homeland security. (Read more...)
Wagner Professors Published in Education Week
Wagner professors Amy Schwartz (public policy) and Leanna Stiefel (economics), recently co-authored an article for
Education Week that called for school systems to use efficiency as a basis for determining which elementary and secondary schools are successful, and which need to be improved. View the article here.
Highlighted Events and Regional Activities:
For details and RSVP information, as well as a complete listing of events, click on the links below or see the Wagner Alumni Calendar.
Talks, Receptions and Seminars
- October 5, 7 to 8:30 pm — Conversation with the Honorable Fernando J. Ferrer, Arts ’72
- October 6, 6 to 8 pm — Discussion on Making Art Possible (RSVP online)
- October 14, 6:30 to 8pm — Roundtable on Obesity in New York City
- October 18, 12 to 1 pm — The Oxonian Society Lunch with Admiral Stansfield Turner (RSVP online)
- October 26, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm —5th Annual Tri-State Transit Symposium (view registration information)
- October 27, 8 to 10 am — PUBLIC SERVICE TODAY — Demystifying Consulting: The Whats, Whys and Hows of Being a Consultant in the Public Sector
- October 27, 6:30 to 8:30 pm — NYU Recent Alumni Network Beer Tasting
- November 2, 5 to 10 pm — Election Night Get-Together (Details coming soon!)
- November 4, 5:30 to 8 pm — LONG ISLAND, NY - "NYU in Your Neighborhood" Alumni Reception (RSVP online)
- November 8, 6:30 to 8 pm — WASHINGTON, DC - Cocktail Reception for Alumni, Faculty and Friends (RSVP online)
- November 10, 6:30 to 8 pm — SHORT HILLS, NJ - "NYU in Your Neighborhood" Alumni Reception (RSVP online)
- November 11, 6:30 to 8 pm — GREENWICH, CT - "NYU In Your Neighborhood" Alumni Reception (RSVP online)
Office of Career Services Events
- October 18, 12 to 1:30 pm — US Department of State & US AID Information Session
- October 19, 6 to 9 pm — Resume and Cover Letter Writing Workshop
- October 25, 12 to 1 pm — TCC Group Employer Information Session
- October 28, 12 to 1 pm — Peace Corps Information Session
For more event listings and to RSVP for any OCS event, see the OCS Event RSVP Form.
Office of Career Services
The Next Generation: Wagner's Office of Career Services would like your help in creating a resource guide for young people who think they might be interested in exploring and pursuing a career in public service. Imagine that an undergraduate student has asked you for an informational interview. They say that they're interested in (fill in the blank of the arena of public service you work in). What advice would you give them as to what they need to do and know in order to break into your field? Email your responses by October 8 to email@example.com with "Advice" in the subject line.
Wagner Annual Fund
New Campaign: NYU recently announced a seven-year, $2.5 billion fundraising campaign, targeted to building the faculty and reputation of the school. Be a part of the campaign — donate online today! For more information about the variety of methods available for making a contribution at any giving level, including our Giving Circles, please see our Donating to Wagner page. Thank you for the difference you make through your commitment to Wagner!
Did you know…
Jonathan Wachtel (MS '04), a producer at the Fox News Channel, recently produced a special on the Middle East peace process. "The Real Road to Peace" aired on Fox News in September. Congratulations, Jonathan.
George Zamora (MPA '02) is a Program Associate at The California Endowment. In this position, George makes statewide, strategic grants under the foundation's Work Force Diversity Program Area, which aims to increase the diversity and improve the geographic distribution of California's nurses, physicians, dentists, mental health practitioners, and selected allied health professionals. These strategies are expected to result in improved access to care and decreased disparities in health for medically underserved populations. Congratulations, George.
Nartravee Piyapatanagool (MPA '04) is currently working as a Learning and Development Analyst at Siam City Cement Public Limited Company. Nartravee is responsible for assessing the organizational capacity in development of its employees and providing recommendations. Congratulations, Nartravee.
Be the next "Did you Know..."
In each Wagner School Alumni eNews issue, we highlight alumni who are doing interesting work in the public sector. Please share your professional comings and goings with us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and perhaps you'll be the next alumni "Did you know..."!
RSVP online for Upcoming Events!
- October 6: Discussion on Making Art Possible
- October 18: Oxonian Society Lunch with Admiral Stansfield Turner
- October 27: Public Service Today — Demystifying Consulting
- November 4: Long Island, NY Alumni Reception
- November 8: Washington, DC Alumni Reception
- November 10: Short Hills, NJ Alumni Reception
- November 11: Greenwich, CT Alumni Reception
Want to know what's going on at Wagner and with your colleagues? Sign up for the Alumni Listserv to get the Wagner e-News and other e-mail updates!
Tell a Friend and Tell Us
Please forward this edition of the Wagner eNews to others who may be interested, and send us your feedback and future topic ideas at email@example.com.