Public Finance and Financial Management Careers
- Urban Planning
- Public Finance and Financial Management
Attention: Finance Employers
NYU Wagner is unique in its reputation for training students in both public finance and financial management. Whether seasoned professionals, recent college graduates, or mid-career managers, students arrive at the Wagner School with a desire to serve the public, and they leave with the cutting edge skills needed to provide sound financial planning for public, nonprofit, and health institutions.
Wagner's MPA program in public finance and financial management is rated eighth in the nation in U.S. News and World Report's rankings of public affairs programs with a public finance and budgeting specialty. Our success is based on rigorous academics that link theory to practice with an overall emphasis on the development of critical thinking and communication skills. In addition to courses in public economics and finance, advanced statistical methods, financial accounting, financial condition analysis, and public budgeting, many students further enhance their skills through specialized courses in cost benefit analysis, debt financing, urban public finance, and health care finance.
Students have also successfully completed a one-year "Capstone" project where they work as a member of a consulting team to solve a finance problem for a client in a government agency or nonprofit organization. As a result, these leaders are trained to be effective financial managers with the ability to work with colleagues in complex organizational settings.
Committed to public service, Wagner students are prepared to work in government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private companies with a public sector component. They are equipped to direct financial programs, study opportunities to invest in the public good, and manage the fiscal health of their organizations.
With finely honed skills and a competitive edge that enables them to transform their personal commitment into public leadership, recent NYU Wagner graduates can be found in the following roles:
- Citizens Budget Commission, Senior Research Associate
- Continuum Health Partners, Senior Financial planning Analyst
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Bank Examiner
- KPMG, Senior Consultant
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Finance Manager
- Moody's Investors Service, Analyst
- Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Financial Analyst
- MTA Bridges and Tunnels, Budget Analyst
- NYC Department of Finance, Associate Staff Analyst
- NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation, Senior Internal Auditor
- NYC Office of Management and Budget, Senior Budget Analyst
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, Financial Analyst
- NY State Division of Budget, Budget Examiner
- NYU School of Medicine, Budget Analyst
- Project Samaritan AIDS Services, Chief Financial Officer
- Seedco, Financial Analyst
- US Office of Management and Budget, Program Examiner
In addition, Wagner students participate in internships throughout their schooling. Sample internships take place with NYC OMB, US Congressional Budget Office, New York Philanthropic Advisory Services, NYC Small Business Services, United Nations Capital Development Fund, Asian Development Bank, and numerous other agencies.
NYU Wagner's Office of Career Services is committed to providing employers with qualified, well-prepared candidates with experience in public finance and financial management. Allow us to help you meet your hiring needs.