Who Should Attend
This training is designed for people who promote learning and organizational development, including executive directors, HR professionals, trainers, evaluators, graduate students and change consultants. Examples include:
- Executives interested in implementing a participatory research or evaluation component at the program, institution or field level;
- Professors who want to incorporate participatory practices and adult learning into their courses;
- Graduate or PhD students interested in learning new group facilitation and evaluation skills; and
- Researchers interested in new methods for involving communities in their work.
Workshop topics will include:
- Collaborative Inquiry as an Action Research Methodology: This session will illuminate the core principles of the methodology in relation to more traditional research methods and will locate it within the field of Action Research.
- Collaborative Inquiry in Practice: By exploring RCLA case studies of successful CI processes with a number of public service organizations, participants will gain a deeper understanding of how the process generates breakthrough learning and findings.
- Facilitating a Cooperative Inquiry Group: Participants will learn the fundamentals of designing and managing a CI process, including various group dynamics. They will also learn about different facilitation styles and techniques to help groups gain the maximum benefit from the process.
- Cooperative Inquiry in Action: To match theory and practical application, participants will experience elements of the CI process first-hand.
Action Research for Results with Impact
Collaborative Inquiry enables practitioners to engage in research about the most pressing needs of their work and to undertake change initiatives directly related to those issues. Therefore, findings from a CI process are immediately relevant and offer lessons for the broader public service field. Through this workshop, you will:
* Learn how to design and manage a Collaborative Inquiry process within an institution or across organizations
* Understand the theory and scholarship behind CI and Action Research methodologies
* Gain practical insights into effective group dynamics directly from experts who have used this methodology in local and international contexts
* Learn how to translate the principles of CI and Action Research to build knowledge, reflection and action into other group activities
* Enhance your group participation and facilitation skills to help advance the work of your organization
* Find out about additional CI and Action Research resources and networks for the future