What You'll Study
Social change leadership transcends organizational boundaries, works to advance systemic change, and transforms ordinary citizens into active agents of change. In doing so, this leadership opens up new public spaces for deliberation, debate and engagement.
The Social Change Leadership Institute workshops focus on the knowledge, strategy and skills emerging leaders need to be successful in work for social change.
- Leadership Skills: Through personal assessment and inquiry determine your unique leadership assets and the skills you want to develop. Explore new approaches and practical steps to achieve immediate and long-term goals
- Using Social Media for Social Justice: Use the latest social media technology to engage constituents, connect with other leaders and increase the visibility of your work.
- Social Entrepreneurship: Developing innovative and pattern-breaking solutions to tough social issues in ways that can be taken to a larger scale and sustained over time
- Community Organizing: Learn about various methods for mobilizing others to pursue a better world
- Collaboration: Learn about practices to bridge difference as part of leveraging resources and developing strong coalitions
- Framing: Understand how framing and reframing social issues through messages and stories helps shift people’s understandings of root causes and solutions
- Globalization: Engage in dialogue about topics such as power and citizenry in a global context
- Intercultural/Diversity Capabilities: Draw on culture, race and other types of diversity to enhance your personal leadership capacity and strengthen social change groups and movements
The Intersection of Theory and Practice
The Institute integrates rigorous research with real-world experience to offer participants a robust understanding of the nature and tasks of social change leadership, the contexts in which it is practiced, and the opportunities and challenges leaders face in their respective areas of work. Activities include:
* Hands-on, interactive workshops that offer opportunities for reflection, peer learning, team building and planning based on personal objectives and projects for change
* Presentations by institute faculty who are established experts in nonprofit management, community organizing, team-building, communications, and strategic program evaluation
*Site visits to nonprofit organizations, cultural sites and historic landmarks across New York City
Each participant who completes the Institute receives a program certificate from the Research Center for Leadership in Action at NYU Wagner.