Collaborations Bring Renewal of Faith

In November 2010, 2009 Fellow Courtney Montague invited Reynolds Alumnus Magogodi Makhene (2008) to travel with her to New Zealand to facilitate Courtney’s program Be The Change.  Magogodi writes about her experience in her blog Africa’s Moment on SocialEdge.org.  An excerpt is provided below.  Click the link at the end of the post for the full entry.

A Renewal of Faith: Meet Be The Change-Makers
By Magogodi Makhene – Africa’s Moment
This week renewed my faith in why I do what I do.  GVN Be the Change introduced me to a group of passionate, grounded and very real people who welcomed me into their lives and allowed us all to learn from each other.  I am so grateful for this opportunity and cannot wait to see each participant and their idea butterfly beyond the embrace of our community.  Fly.  Am so proud to introduce you to my new circle of friends and the work they are doing.
Kent, Palmersto, North New Zealand.
“Everyone can see a kid with a broken arm, how do we see a kid with mental health issues.”  Kent’s presentation of his vision moved the room to silence.  This man is powerful.  He speaks about mental health services for youth from a deeply gutteral and primal place.  He amplifies our best self, the part that helps pull us through dark days, perhaps because he’s been there himself.  And he’s only 18…
To read more, view Magogodi’s full post at Africa’s Moment.