NYU Rudin Center Assistant Director Sarah Kaufman spoke with Popular Mechanics on Facebook Live yesterday. The conversation covered gridlock, bikes and driverless cars while sitting in traffic. Check out the video here:
Mitchell L. Moss, NYU Rudin Center Director, and Hugh O’Neill, founder and president of Appleseed, wrote an op-ed in today’s Crain’s New York, “Forget romantic fantasies—rebuild Penn Station without uprooting the Garden.” (link)
Here’s an excerpt:
There are well-meaning groups who believe we should tear down the current structure, move Madison Square Garden, and start over. Simply put, this is too expensive and disruptive an option for achieving most of the same goals by modernizing the existing facility at far lower cost and with far less disruption.
The Rudin Center has had a busy academic year so far producing events, original research, and engaging activities.
In the past year, the Rudin Center hosted a wide-variety of events, including speeches by:
- US Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx (July 2015)
- Senator Chuck Schumer (August 2015)
- NYC Council Member and Transportation Committee Chair Ydanis Rodriguez (October 2015)
To see more recent Rudin events, click here.
The Rudin Center analyzes transportation policy and management in New York City and beyond. The results of our analysis is often published as a report or publication on the Rudin Center site.
- Surprise! World Trade Center Rebuilding Pays Off for the Port Authority – And the Region (October 2015)
- Manhattan Moves, even with the Pope (September 2015)
Just last month, the Rudin Center hosted the first ever NYC Bus Hackathon in partnership with the MTA and supported by TransitCenter. A full review of the event can be read here.
Rudin Center reports and publications are often cited in news articles. Additionally, Rudin Center staff are frequently asked for comment on transportation issues. Included below are some examples of press coverage:
- Sarah Kaufman in Wired, “Google and the Feds Team Up to Build the City of the Future” (Link)
- Mitchell Moss in AMNY, “L train could face Manhattan-Brooklyn shutdowns in 2017” (Link)
- NYU Rudin Report in Politico New York, “NYU urban planners counter pope-visit gridlock predictions” (Link)
For more Rudin Center in the news click here.
We’re excited to meet prospective students next Friday at NYU Wagner’s Admitted Students Day! NYU Rudin Center Director Mitchell Moss will deliver a faculty WagTalk. If you want to learn about Wagner School admissions, please check out the site. In the meantime, we’ve been busy reading up on this week’s transportation news:
- America’s Public Transit Is Broken—And It’s All Your Fault
- COTA Approves New Bus Pass Program for Downtown Workforce
- Plan to change NYC’s bridge tolls, reduce traffic hits Albany
- Gateway tunnel project taking a $70M step forward
- The Higher-Tech Future of School Bus Stop Signs
- Rare old NYC subway photos of trains, overcrowded platforms and more
And take a ride on our favorite video of the week, Time Travel Subway Car:
- Cuomo promises to fix an ‘inexcusable’ LaGuardia problem
- Yet More Evidence Bike-Share Isn’t Reaching the Poor
- How Cheap Gas Complicates Long-Term Urban Planning
- Amtrak’s Newest Board Member Works at Lyft
- Maven, GM’s Car-Sharing Scheme, Is Really About a Driverless Future
- Business Travelers Often Skip The Rental Car, Use Uber Instead
- Uber and Airbus team up to take your ride to new heights
- Hey, Traffic Planners! It’s the Twenty-first Century! E-commerce and delivery vans are here to stay.
Video of the week: NYC Subway Train Operator’s Point of View – The Queens-bound 7 Line
Sarah M. Kaufman, NYU Rudin Center Assistant Director for Technology Programming, appeared on Fox 5 News to discuss potential regulations of ridesharing companies:
Coverage of Senator Schumer’s talk at the NYU Rudin Center yesterday about the Hudson River tunnels was covered in several media outlets:
- Daily News: “Chuck Schumer pushes new agency to handle Hudson River tunnel project” (Link)
- The New York Observer: “Schumer Calls for a ‘Gateway Development Authority’ to Fund Hudson Tunnels” (Link)
- The New York Times: “Schumer Says Corporation Should Oversee Hudson Tunnels Project” (Link)
- Capital New York: “Schumer rushes into a leadership vacuum on cross-Hudson rail” (Link)
- Second Avenue Sagas: “From Schumer, a two-state solution for the trans-Hudson problem” (Link)
Additional event photos have been posted on our site.
The NYU Rudin Center’s Study, “Mobility, Economic Opportunity and New York City Neighborhoods,” was featured in the New York Times on May 7, 2015 in the article, “Transportation Emerges as Crucial to Escaping Poverty,” focusing on access to jobs and opportunities.
- Download the report: NYU Rudin Job Access Report
- View the interactive map: http://wagner.nyu.edu/rudincenter/job-access/
The NYU Rudin Center has appeared in the press recently, discussing policy, tech and social media:
- Smart buses and public transportation can be compatible – Sarah Kaufman in Wired. (link)
- How NYC “has merit as a subject of art” – Mitchell Moss in the Wall Street Journal. (link)
- Benefits of Citi Bike’s weekend reset – Mitchell Moss in The New York Times. (link)
- Social media keeps transit riders informed – Sarah Kaufman in Government Technology. (link)
- Anthony Townsend named to Chicago’s Internet of Things Council – Chicago Tribune. (link)
Image above: Interior of Leap Bus, via Wired.