Student Grievance Procedure

In order to appeal a grade, students should first consult with their professor. If a resolution is not reached, consider filing a grievance by sending a written statement to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs.

Student grievances alleging a violation of Wagner's academic policies or the University’s policies on sexual harassment or discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital or parental status, age, or handicap should also be directed to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs.  The goal of the School is to resolve these grievances informally and quickly, at the same time ensuring that both the grievant and respondent are treated appropriately.

A student seeking resolution of a grievance should follow the steps outlined below. (Statements in italics are derived from New York University policy.)

  1. A student should attempt to resolve the grievance informally by discussing the issue with the person responsible for the matter being grieved (the respondent). Significant effort should be placed at resolving the grievance at this level. At the request of either the grievant or the respondent, the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs may be asked to arrange for and attend this meeting.
  2. If the grievance is not informally resolved between the grievant and respondent, in order to obtain further review, the grievant may make a written statement describing the grievance and send it to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs. The written document shall state the written policy of the school or University that has allegedly been violated, describe the facts and evidence supporting the alleged violations, indicate what redress the grievant seeks and provide a brief history of the attempts to resolve the grievance.
  3. If unresolved, the grievant and respondent may request to meet with the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs who may, if deemed appropriate by the Vice Dean, form a grievance committee composed of a student representative, and a faculty representative. The student and faculty member would be selected by the Vice Dean after consulting with the grievant and the respondent. A resolution should be sought. A written statement of the grievance committee’s findings will be provided to the grievant and the respondent.
  4. If the grievance remains unresolved, the grievant or respondent can appeal to the Dean of the Wagner School on any grievance related to an educational program or the highest ranking University officer in the field, other than the President, responsible for the subject matter of the grievance (e.g., the Vice President for Administration, External Affairs, or Student Affairs).
  5. The Dean or University Officer shall meet with the grievant and with other persons deemed appropriate for purpose of ascertaining the facts and attempting to resolve the grievance. Then, the Dean or Officer shall render a written decision on the merits to the grievant, the respondent, and the Executive Assistant to the President.
  6. If either the student or the respondent appeals the decision of the Dean or University Officer, the grievance will be presented to the University Judicial Board following the procedures presented in the University’s Student Guide to New York University.

Students who would like to raise issues not specified above are encouraged send a written statement to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs who will attempt to find a satisfactory resolution for the issue. The staff and faculty of the Wagner School are committed to being responsive to the interests of students.