NYU Leonard N. Stern School of Business
CROSS-REGISTRATION IN STERN COURSES
Registration for coursework at the Stern Graduate School of Business is open to students from other schools at New York University only during specific periods each term. Generally, fall cross-registration is in June, spring in November/December, and summer cross-registration occurs in April.
SUMMER 2014 CROSS-REGISTRATION SCHEDULE
March 24- April 4: Submission request period for Wagner students – via Wagner’s online form
Mid April: Wagner sends forms to Stern
May: Stern will then send results/permission codes back to Wagner Academic Services
Students have 2 business days to use permission code(s) on Albert; if the access code is not used in the allotted time, it will expire. Students must notify Wagner Academic Services if they will not be registering for the Stern course to ensure that Stern removes them from registration on their side (otherwise, students could be registered for a course they do not wish to take!). If a student does not use their code in the allotted time and it expires, s/he loses the ability to register for the course.
Students must fulfill Stern course prerequisites via one of the following and attach relevant documents to online request form (right side of page)
- Successfully completed the Stern course [must attach transcript]
- Successfully completed equivalent course at Wagner [must attach brief memo explaining overlap, Wagner syllabus, and Stern prerequisite’s syllabus]
- Earned an undergraduate major or masters in subject area [see accepted list here and must attach transcript]
- Passed Stern proficiency exam [see exam policy here; must attach documentation]
- Obtained CPA license [see here; must attach documentation of certification]
SELECT COURSES AND COMPILE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION
Step 1: DETERMINE WHICH STERN COURSES ARE AVAILABLE
- Check the courses open to non-Stern students (select “Non-Stern” and semester).
- Choose course(s) and up to 3 alternative choices. Students only have one opportunity to submit. The Stern Registrar allows non-Stern students to take a maximum of 6 Stern credits per term.
Step 2: OBTAIN APPROVAL FROM FACULTY ADVISOR (if course not on Pre-Approved Electives List)
- Students must email the syllabus and a memo to his/her faculty advisor explaining the relevance to degree/program and request approval. Students should save this faculty advisor approval email to attach to online cross-registration form.
- If course is on the Pre-Approved Electives List, skip this step.
Step 3: COMPLETE STERN CROSS-REGISTRATION FORM
- Complete cross-registration form (leave all of the "Adviser Information" area blank. Wagner Academic Services will fill in this section.)
- Students must note how the prerequisite(s) was fulfilled. (Click here for more information on prerequisite equivalency)
- If course does not have prerequisite, write "none" and "n/a" on form.
*Must note in "comments" section at bottom of cross-registration form if student is a Wagner doctoral student or has been accepted to an application-only Stern course [attach approval email from Stern instructor]
Step 4: COMPILE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- Gather necessary documentation – memo, transcript, syllabi, faculty approval emails, etc.
- Combine cross-registration form with all supporting documents and put into one PDF to attach to Wagner's online form (see step 5)
Step 5: ATTACH AND SUBMIT COMBINED DOCUMENTS VIA WAGNER’S ONLINE FORM
SUBMIT ONLINE WAGNER FORM DURING LIMITED SUBMISSION PERIOD
The Summer 2014 Cross- Registration Submission Period will open on March 24, 2014.
The online form is available HERE.
Note: Stern courses are generally 3.0 (or 1.5) credits. Non-Stern students may register for a maximum of 6.0 credits per term. Visit this page for more information about NYU schools on a 3-credit system.