CROSS-REGISTRATION IN STERN COURSES
Registration for coursework at the Stern Graduate School of Business is open to students from other schools at New York University only during specific periods each term. [May/June for Fall; December/January for Spring; March/April for Summer]
All registration requests must be made via the Wagner Academic Services online cross-registration form.
Students who submit cross-registration requests are strongly recommended to register for backup courses while the cross-registration process is underway.
STERN CROSS-REGISTRATION REQUEST PROCESS
Step 1: DETERMINE WHICH STERN COURSES ARE AVAILABLE
- Check the courses open to non-Stern students (select “Non-Stern” and semester).
- Choose course(s) and up to 3 alternative choices. Students only have one opportunity to submit. The Stern Registrar allows non-Stern students to take a maximum of 6 Stern credits per term.
Step 2: VERIFY PREREQUISITES
Students must fulfill Stern course prerequisites via one of the following and attach relevant documents to online request form (right side of page):
- Successfully completed the Stern course [must attach transcript]
- Successfully completed equivalent course at Wagner [must attach brief memo explaining overlap, Wagner syllabus, and Stern prerequisite’s syllabus]
- Earned an undergraduate major or masters in subject area [see accepted list here and must attach transcript]
- Passed Stern proficiency exam [see exam policy here; must attach documentation]
- Obtained CPA license [see here; must attach documentation of certification]
- Please note that Stern professors DO NOT manage course enrollment, requisites, or the registration process. Stern professors cannot override closed or restricted courses as well as provide requisite waivers as a result.
- If course is on the Pre-Approved Electives List, skip this step.
Step 4: COMPLETE STERN CROSS-REGISTRATION FORM
- Complete cross-registration form (leave all of the "Adviser Information" area blank. Wagner Academic Services will fill in this section.)
- Students must note how the prerequisite(s) was fulfilled. (Click here for more information on prerequisite equivalency)
- If course does not have prerequisite, write "none" and "n/a" on form.
*Must note in "comments" section at bottom of cross-registration form if student is a Wagner doctoral student or has been accepted to an application-only Stern course [attach approval email from Stern instructor]
Step 5: COMPILE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- Gather necessary documentation – memo, transcript, syllabi, approval emails, etc.
- Combine cross-registration form with all supporting documents and put into one PDF to attach to Wagner's online form (see step 6)
Step 6: ATTACH AND SUBMIT COMBINED DOCUMENTS VIA WAGNER’S ONLINE FORM
ONLINE CROSS-REGISTRATION REQUEST FORM
Spring 2017 Timeline
November 7 (5:00pm): Priority deadline to submit non pre-approved registration requests to program advisor
November 23 (5:00pm): Priority deadline for approved registration requests via Wagner's online form
December 16 (5:00pm): Final deadline to submit non pre-approved registration requests to program advisor
January 6 (5:00pm): Final deadline for approved registration requests via Wagner's online form
Spring 2017 FORM
Students must use their permission code within TWO business days on Albert. If a student does not use the code by the allotted, the code will expire and s/he will lose the ability to register for that course.
If you received a permission code and decide not to register for the course, you must notify Academic Services so they can notify Stern to have your name removed from the roster.
We suggest that you register for backup courses so you can ensure you will have the necessary credits/classes you need.
Once we submit the requests to Stern, we do not have control or can approximate when we will receive results back from them.