Admitted Global EMPA Students

Congratulations on your admission to the joint Executive MPA for Global Policy Leaders program! Here are some resources to help you navigate your next steps at NYU Wagner and University College London (UCL). In addition to the 4 steps to accepting your offer, you should do the following things before you arrive:

Begin the visa application process by contacting the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) before the May 15 deadline. Admitted students may require a visa to enter the U.S. or the U.K. to pursue graduate study. OGS cannot process your I-20 or DS-2019 application unless you have submitted your US$1000 non-refundable enrollment deposit. Read more

Admitted students are encouraged to contact OGS as soon as possible to ensure they are ready to begin the program in August.  Students should plan to start the UCL visa application process in September, after the UCL pre-enrollment in August. Students will be required to provide evidence of their student visas when they arrive at UCL at the start of the spring term.

Starting graduate school in New York City is a unique experience.  When you first arrive, navigating it all can be a challenge.  New students are expected to re-locate to the New York Metro area in early August in order to maximize their orientation to the city and the university.  To help students get started with determining where to live, how to get around, and how to enjoy New York, we have created a Living in New York City website with many useful links and resources. Because graduate housing at NYU is very limited and off-campus housing is generally more cost-effective, we strongly encourage you to investigate the services provided by NYU’s Off-Campus Living.  NYU Off-Campus Living has extensive resources to assist you with your search, including information about residence halls as well as the housing application. Contact the NYU Off-Campus Living at or (212) 998-4620.

New York State and NYU require that all students taking six or more credits in a degree-granting institution must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) and acknowledge receipt of information regarding the disease meningitis/or provide proof of meningitis vaccination.  More information about this requirement is available on the Student Health Center’s (SHC) website.

New York University students in degree-granting programs are required to maintain health insurance.  If you are covered by your own health insurance, you may waive the NYU student insurance by providing proof of insurance to NYU Insurance Services.  In general, international students studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa must enroll in the NYU student health insurance plan. You may begin to investigate the insurance requirements and options at the NYU Student Health Center’s Office of Student Health Insurance Services at (212) 443-1020 or

The NYU ID Card is necessary for you to gain access to all NYU buildings including the libraries, computer labs, and fitness centers.  Once you have registered for classes, you may obtain your card from the NYU Card Center. Please note that the NYU ID Card is generally not activated until the first day of classes for the term you are enrolled. Contact the NYU Card Center at (212) 443-2273 or visit their office at 7 Washington Place.




FAQs for Global EMPA Students

When do I secure my visa for study in London?

Most students will begin this process in early September, after they have arrived in New York City.

When can I register for classes?

Applicants who submit their enrollment deposit and official transcripts by the April 15 deadline will be sent the NYU Wagner Registration Guide on May 1.

When should I plan to arrive in New York?

NYU Wagner encourages students to arrive in New York by the first week of August.

How can I speak with a current executive student about his or her experiences?

Email us at and we will put you in touch with a currently enrolled Executive MPA student.

Helpful Links

Contact Us

NYU Wagner Office of Admissions
The Puck Building
295 Lafayette Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10012

University College London
School of Public Policy
The Rubin Building
29/31 Tavistock Square