MPA in Health Policy & Management
How can we improve healthcare access and quality—while lowering costs? What are the links between a community's state of health and its housing, transportation, and education? Our MPA in Health Policy and Management (HPAM) program gives you the unique opportunity to study health policy and management in a school of public service where you can see these interplays. With NYC and its diverse populations on your doorstep, you'll put your skills to work while learning so that by the time you graduate, you'll be ready to take on the most challenging issues in any healthcare environment.
- A mission-driven program that graduates leaders who have the skills and values to improve healthcare quality and access.
- Seasoned and collaborative students use case analyses to elevate class discussion and report back on what's working in their professional lives.
- A holistic approach that underscores the relationships between healthcare and other policy arenas.
- Core courses in management, finance, and policy, so that you'll really understand the impact of the policies you’re proposing.
- Flexibility for full- or part-time students, with options to switch between the two. Earn your degree in two years full-time, or 3-4 years part-time.
The Health Finance specialization has two sub-specialization areas. Health Financial Management concentrates on the basic skills required to organize and interpret financial information as the basis of decision-making. Health Public Finance provides the concepts and skills needed for careers that focus on the financial aspects of healthcare policy and the healthcare delivery system.
Health Policy Analysis
The Health Policy Analysis specialization prepares students to develop and evaluate strategies to improve the efficiency of the healthcare delivery system.
Health Services Management
The Health Services Management specialization prepares students to develop and evaluate strategies to improve the efficiency of the healthcare delivery system.
The International Health specialization prepares students to work in health policy and management worldwide and in diverse cultures.
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED TO GRADUATE: 45
Degree Core Courses
The Capstone Program, a year-long consulting or research project that's required for all MPA students, puts you out in the world, resolving a problem or conducting an analysis for a client organization.
Clustering elective courses around an issue area enables you to develop a course of study that most closely meets your needs and interests, and provides specialized training around an area of expertise.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
NYU Wagner is deeply committed to education outside of the classroom. First-hand work experience in your field of choice can be a pivotal experience, and our New York City location offers countless opportunities for career exploration. To this end, NYU Wagner requires all MPA and MUP students to graduate with professional experience that is directly related to their degree program and field of interest.
Students can fulfill this requirement in one of two ways:
- Enter NYU Wagner with at least two years of full-time, degree-relevant, professional experience; or
- Complete the Professional Experience Requirement (PER), which means working in a degree-relevant job or internship while attending NYU Wagner and before enrolling in Capstone. Students typically fulfill the PER via a relevant work experience over one semester (i.e. 15-20 hours per week during a semester, or 35-40 hours per week in the summer).
Once you begin classes, NYU Wagner’s Office of Career Services staff is available to advise you on strategies and resources for identifying degree relevant positions, submitting strong application materials, conducting successful interviews, or seeking a PER waiver for previous experience.
NYU Wagner's MPA degree, including its Health Policy and Management Program (HPAM), is accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA).
NYU Wagner's MPA-HPAM specialization in Health Services Management is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).