Computer Support Services and Policies
NYU Wagner IT provides support for over three-hundred computers and mobile devices at The Puck Building with a primary focus on troubleshooting hardware and software issues.
Contact Desktop Support
Support Services: We provide a range of services to support your computer devices. Read More
Computer Life Cycle: Your primary computer is purchased by Wagner IT, based on the standard configuration for a desktop or laptop unit. Read More
Response Time: Once you submit a case to Desktop Support, you will be contacted about your case within one working day.
Prioritization: We prioritize cases based on scope of impact to individual and group business processes, with a focus on computers purchased by NYU. Read More
Your Responsibilities: NYU requires you to adhere to the “Policy on Responsible Use of NYU Computers & Data,” and Wagner IT requests you adhere to the following guidelines and best practices. Read More
Administrative Rights Policy: Administrative rights are only provided to faculty members and researchers upon request due to constantly changing research and software needs. We will review the request and make a decision based on perceived business need.
Limitations and Exclusions: Due to staffing resources, we do not support student laptops, home networks, and some other services. Read More
FAQ: You may review common questions we receive from the Wagner community. Read More
Questions: If you have any problems or concerns related to the service provided, please contact Lawrence Mirsky, Director of Wagner IT.
Computer Support Services
We provide the following services:
- Configuration of Wagner computer devices, the installation of supported software, and related upgrades.
- Skilled maintenance and repair.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving hardware and software problems.
- Removing viruses/spyware/malware from infected computers and re-imaging/rebuilding those which cannot be cleaned.
- Removing compromised computers from use, and elevating issues to the NYU IT security team.
- Maintaining the target replacement cycle for computers.
- Assisting in the move of IT equipment for individuals relocating within Wagner. For multi-user moves, please contact Wagner Facilities. Wagner IT will assist with disconnection/connectivity.
- Printer maintenance and toner replacement.
- Troubleshooting and training of Zoom and video conferencing systems.
Wagner IT prioritizes requests to ensure issues are dealt with on a timely basis, based on impact.
Critical - A problem that affects the entire Wagner community or a large group of users, and/or poses a serious threat to security.
Major - A problem that affects the entire Wagner community or a large group of users, but poses no serious threat to security.
High - A significant problem affecting one or more users with no alternative work around.
Medium - A disruption in service for a single user with an available workaround or reduced quality of service.
Low - No significant impact on business process, and/or the request is considered “nice to have” or “preferred.”
- Adhere by all of New York University's Information Technology policies and guidelines.
- You provide us with a detailed description of the problem/service request for which you are seeking help.
- You consult us prior to purchasing any new hardware or software, as some items may not be supported.
- You do not re-partition computers or configure systems with dual/multiple-boot options.
- You agree to have your desktop PC attached to the Wagner network for use on-site unless grant restrictions prohibit it.
- You drop off any portable devices requiring maintenance.
- You maintain a clean keyboard and mouse if they require hands-on assistance from Wagner IT.
- You provide us with feedback through this form: http://wagner.nyu.edu/feedback. We'll use this information to evaluate and manage service continuity.
Service Limitations and Exclusions
Wagner IT does not cover the following services:
- Student laptops.
- Support when we suspect that an issue has been caused by unsupported third-party hardware.
- Picking up or dropping off hardware to anywhere outside of The Puck Building.
- Support for dual/multi-boot systems. We do not support computers that have been partitioned with multiple operating systems, regardless of hardware and operating systems involved.
- Support for systems where third party software has been deemed to cause issues that we are unable to address.
- We are unable to guarantee service levels when equipment failure is related to abuse or staffing levels are low due to unexpected illness and weather conditions.