Step 3: Electives & Your Individual Learning Plan
To assist you in choosing electives for your fall term at Wagner, we have provided a few links below.
- EMPA Saturday Fall 2020 Schedule
- Wagner Course Highlights (courses without prerequisites, new courses, intensive courses & more)
- Wagner course section report (list of all fall 2020 course sections)
- Elective courses by term & topic (with links to course pages)
- Leadership courses across Wagner degree programs (EMPA, MPA, MUP)
- Full Wagner course catalog (with course descriptions, syllabi, and evaluation data)
- Course Evaluations (via Albert)
- Wagner faculty search
If you wish to explore information about courses at the UCL School of Public Policy for spring, visit the Master Course Search.
Before registering for any elective course, it is critical that you check for prerequisites in the course notes section in NYU Albert, then look up any prerequisite course numbers in Wagner’s course catalog.
Note that EMPA Global Policy Leaders are exempt from a common prerequisite: CORE-GP 1020 Management and Leadership.
If you have not completed or waived out of a prerequisite, but feel you have equivalent knowledge via prior coursework or professional experience, contact the course's instructor to seek a prerequisite waiver. If granted one, forward the approval email to your Student Services Program Advisor, Hannah Atchison (email@example.com).
Advisement in the EMPA program is meant to facilitate your learning and to ensure that you are connecting with the right people, finding the right courses, and satisfying degree requirements in accordance with your graduation timeline.
To help determine your curricular focus in the program early on, you will:
- Complete your Individual Learning Plan (ILP) worksheet
- Your Program Advisor, Hannah Atchison, will reach out to you in late May/early June to schedule an ILP Consultation via Zoom with Prof. John Gershman.
- Email your completed ILP worksheet to Prof. John Gershman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Hannah Atchison (email@example.com) at least one week before your ILP consultation. If you have questions about this process, please email Hannah Atchison.
Work on your ILP, but don't wait to register!
We encourage you to register for fall courses as soon as you have access to do so in NYU Albert. Though your ILP consultation will likely happen after you initially enroll in courses, it is easy to modify your fall schedule if you decide to do. See Step 6 of this guide for instructions on using NYU Albert to register for courses—including adding, dropping, and swapping courses.