Ellen Schall Experience Fund
Each year, NYU Wagner awards up to 50 students with $5,000 stipends to take on unpaid public service summer internships. This allows them to explore professional opportunities to achieve their career goals, regardless of compensation or financial need. In addition, awardees participate in professional development events throughout the summer.
Past ESEF recipients have interned at public, nonprofit, and private organizations all over the world, working in many different fields and industries. Through these positions, more than 95% were able to clarify their career goals, expand their professional networks, gain important skills, and apply classroom learnings to the real world. What might ESEF help you accomplish?
The Ellen Schall Experience Fund provides financial support and professional development workshops for students who have secured an unpaid summer internship in the field of public service. NYU Wagner students, including international students in lawful F-1 or J-1 status sponsored by NYU, must be all of the following to apply:
- Currently enrolled (and taking classes) in an MPA, MUP, or Executive MPA program at Wagner
- A continuing student who has completed at least six Wagner credits prior to applying for the ESEF. EMPA students can apply in their first semester at Wagner.
- In good academic standing at Wagner with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Confirmed to work in an unpaid, degree relevant full-time (35+ hrs/wk) summer internship for at least 10 weeks between May 2017 and September 2017. Students who are taking international summer courses can intern for a minimum of 8 weeks.
The ESEF is not open to:
- Students graduating before or in May 2017
- BA/MPA and BA/MUP students who have not yet matriculated into Wagner
- Students receiving compensation exceeding $500 (including travel/food stipends) for any summer 2017 internship
The ESEF application is closed. Upon completing the online application, students will receive a link and instructions for the employer verification process.
Deadlines: Late materials will not be accepted.
- ESEF Application is now Closed
- ESEF Application Deadline: April 19, 2017 by 11:59pm
- Employer Verification Form Deadline: April 21, 2017
- ESEF Award Announcement: May 1, 2017
FINANCIAL AID: The ESEF is processed as an award and may have an impact on recipients’ financial aid package.
STUDENTS LOOKING AT INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS: All students who are looking to intern in a non-US location must be in compliance with NYU policies and go through a travel safety vetting process in order to receive funding. If you have questions or need more information, please contact email@example.com.
My Summer Internship Experience: Sohana Islam
Sohana Islam, MPA student, shares her experience of interning with charity: water through the Ellen Schall Experience Fund.
View Past Internships
- Action Against Hunger
- Association of German Educational Organizations
- Blueprint Health
- Cause Strategy Partners LLC.
- CHABHA (Children Affected By HIV/AIDS)
- China Arts Foundation International
- Clinton Foundation
- Community Empowerment Lab
- Concern Worldwide US
- Groundswell Organization
- Innovations for Poverty Action
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA)
- J Street
- Kingdom Trails Association
- Korea Real Estate Investment Trust Co.
- Mentari Human Trafficking Survivor Empowerment Program, Inc. & Amnesty for Women
- Mount Sinai Health Partners
- Mount Sinai Hospital
- NYC Department of City Planning
- NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development
- NYC Human Resources Administration
- NYC Mayor's Office of Center for Economic Opportunity
- NYC Mayor's Office of Contract Services
- NYU Department of Population Health, Center for Healthful Behavior Change
- Office of New York State Assemblymember Aravella Simotas
- Que Funciona para el Desarrollo
- Taproot Foundation
- TD+Partners, LLC
- Uganda Village Project
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- UN Women
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Global Compact
- US Board of Standards and Appeals
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- US Department of State
- Vera Institute of Justice
- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans
- YWCA of the City of New York