Changing Enrollment Status
The University defines "full-time" enrollment as taking 12 or more credits in one semester, and "half-time" enrollment as taking 6 or more credits in one semester. You may change your enrollment status from full-time to part-time, or vice versa, without notifying the University.
A student's time status may have implications for financial aid, particularly as it pertains to Federal student loans; students who are not at least half-time are ineligible for Stafford Loans.
If you receive a Wagner scholarship, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you change your enrollment status.
If you receive federal financial aid, contact email@example.com if you change your enrollment status.
For student loan purposes, students who are taking fewer than 6 credits may be granted an equivalency in the following circumstances:
- You are enrolled in Capstone (1.5 credits), plus 3 credits of coursework = 4.5 credits;
- You are unable to reach 6 credits without exceeding the number of credits required to graduate*;
- You are auditing a class to clear an incomplete in addition to taking a class for credit (as long as the audited class plus the credit class add up to 6 or more total credits);
- You are enrolled in the summer term for 3-4.5 credits.
Students who must be full-time students (e.g. students studying on a visa, veterans, students with non-Wagner fellowships/scholarships) may be granted full-time equivalency in the following circumstances:
- You are auditing a class to clear an incomplete in addition to taking classes for credit (as long as the audited class + the credit classes add up to 12 or more total credits);
- You are enrolled in Capstone (1.5 credits), plus 9 credits of coursework = 10.5 credits;
- You are unable to reach 10.5 credits but are enrolled in Capstone, plus 6-7.5 credits of coursework = 7.5-9 credits;
*This generally applies to the final semester in a student's career, but in some cases may apply to an earlier semester. For example, if you are taking 3 credits in Spring because you only have Capstone to take in the following Fall and Spring terms, half-time equivalency might be granted for all three semesters.
If you are an MPA or MUP student, and you would like to request equivalency, please fill out the following form:
You should request equivalency only after your schedule has been finalized for the semester, including Capstone registration (if applicable).
ENROLLMENT MISMATCH HOLD
You must update your "anticipated credits" in Albert to insure you do not have an "enrollment mismatch" hold in Albert. Once updated, NYU Financial Aid can disburse the appropriate financial aid award. For instructions, consult the NYU Video Tutorial on the Enrollment Mismatch Hold.
Doctoral Students who are maintaining matriculation or are registered in Research in Progress are eligible to receive full-time equivalency.
Veteran students who qualify for equivalency must complete the equivalency form on the left in order to receive benefits appropriately. For more information about using your GI benefits, visit the NYU website.
Students studying on a visa that requires full-time enrollment should consult this NYU OGS page for further details regarding their final semester.