Approach to Leadership Development
Leadership in Action at Wagner creates collaborative learning environments for leaders to think critically about their work, tackle complex and provocative issues, share their unique insight, and learn from other dynamic and accomplished individuals. Leaders emerge from our programs reinvigorated and better equipped to achieve their goals.
Our leadership development offerings include:
- Program Design & Enhancement. We help organizations develop leadership programs to meet the needs of stakeholders and constituents and foster collective leadership, sustainability, and growth. Our aim is to not only help organizations achieve their mission but build individual and organizational capacity for future challenges.
- Leadership Development Workshops. Our workshops combine the latest in leadership scholarship with the innovative approaches emerging from the daily work of nonprofit, government, and philanthropic endeavors. These sessions use a peer-learning model in which participants share insights with colleagues and their counterparts at other organizations to ground new leadership theories and models in their own experiences.
- Convenings & Networks. We provide spaces for social scientists and practitioners in community and public service leadership to learn from one another. Leaders can share their thoughts on issues in their field, explore the complex challenges they face, and collaborate on efforts to make change possible. Convenings include roundtable discussions and conferences, as well as ongoing events and continuing inquiries organized around managerial questions and strategic leadership.
- Teaching and Training. We teach and train current and future leaders through undergraduate and graduate coursework at NYU Wagner and in partnership programs with other institutions and organizations. We also provide training in participatory and facilitation methodologies to help practitioners and organizations hone the leadership skills vital for making change.
At Wagner, we are interested in offering programs that not only to equip individuals with knowledge and skills, but also enhance leadership in the organizations and fields where they work. These projects are a representation of our ongoing efforts in developing leadership.
- Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service
- Ghanaian Women’s Social Leadership Program
- Supporting Networks and Communities of Practice
Tackling issues of public concern requires the engagement of actors across sectors. Our work on leadership development has focused on convening private, government and nonprofit organizations to engage in dialogue about social issues. This archive represents our past projects in leadership development.