Leadership Research & Evaluation
The best research on leadership is equal parts rigorous and relevant. Leadership work at NYU Wagner explores how leadership is practiced to make change. We conduct our research with leaders rather than on them to understand leadership with an authentic voice.
Our research looks to shift from a heroic leader discourse to understanding leadership as a collective achievement. This inclusive and relational view emphasizes how all kinds of people and organizations can take up leadership for the public good. It also, demands that researchers work with practitioners to together identify key issues in leadership theory and practice.
HALLMARKS OF RESEARCH
At all phases of research, we emphasize; encouraging dialogue and inquiry, using participatory methods for discoveries that matter, and building on a developmental approach.
Our scholars and researchers are interested in developing programs to equip individuals with knowledge and skills and enhance leadership practices in the organizations and fields in which they work. These projects are a representation of our ongoing efforts in the research and evaluation of leadership.
- Social Innovation Against the Crisis
- Religious Leadership, Civil Discourse and Democracy in the Public Square
Leadership researchers use different methods to engage with leaders who are both consumers of leadership research and a key source of new knowledge. Beyond facilitating a more equal exchange between practitioners and researchers, collaborative learning approaches enable participants to gain new insights into their own leadership practices and better inform the broader field of public service.
Tackling issues of public concern requires the engagement of actors across sectors. Our work on leadership development has focused on convening private, government and nonprofit organizations to engage in dialogue about social issues. This archive represents our past projects in research and evaluation.
- Crossing Sectors to Find Solutions for the Public Good in the Middle East
- Evaluating Leadership in the Microfinance Industry
- Supporting Learning Communities for Innovation and Impact
- Revenue-Generating Strategies for Sustainable Social Change
- Evaluation of the Leadership Development For Mobilizing Reproductive Health Program
- Leadership for a Changing World