International Applicants

With representation from over 35 countries, international students bring an element of diversity that enriches the Wagner community and enhances the learning experience.

International candidates are encouraged to apply early so that they will have enough time to arrange for a visa to study in the US.

Students entering an NYU Wagner master's program are required to hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. 

If you received an undergraduate degree from an institution located outside of the United States or Canada, we require that you use a third-party international credential evaluation service to assess U.S. bachelor’s equivalency and evaluation of your grade point average. NYU Wagner will only accept international evaluation reports from NACES-approved agencies. You can find the full list here. 

  • Applicants must select a course-by-course evaluation to be completed by one of the approved evaluation service providers.
  • When completing your NYU Wagner application, upload both unofficial transcripts from the degree-granting institution(s) and a copy of your international credential evaluation report from an approved evaluation service.
  • All applicants who are required to submit an international credential evaluation, are eligible to receive an application fee waiver to apply to NYU Wagner. Once your NYU Wagner application is submitted and the international credential evaluation is received, your application fee waiver will be waived. Do not pay the application before the waiver is applied, as we will not be able to issue a refund. 

International Credential Evaluation (ICE) Waivers

  • Applicants who obtained their bachelor's degree outside of the U.S. or Canada must submit an International Credential Evaluation from an approved organization such as WES or Span Tran, listed on Evaluations for Graduate degrees earned from institutions outside the U.S and Canada are recommended, but not required.

  • Students with degrees from institutions based in the United States that operate degree-granting branch campuses in another country are exempt from this requirement. 

  • We do not require an evaluation for a study abroad semester.

Please contact for questions or clarification. If you meet the criteria for an ICE waiver, this requirement will be waived upon submission of your application, no formal request is needed.

In addition to third-party credential evaluations, applications must include transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. If a transcript is not in English, applicants are required to submit both the transcript and its English translation.

Scanned, unofficial transcripts are acceptable during the application process. Official transcripts will be requested upon admission.

Mastery of English is required for NYU Wagner programs. If your undergraduate or graduate degree was not taught in English, you must demonstrate your level of proficiency in English in one of the following ways:

1. A TOEFL score of at least 100 (We accept MyBest scores and our TOEFL School Code is 2507)

2. An IELTS score of at least 7.0

3. A Duolingo score of 130

  • Scores must be less than two years old upon application submission. While official scores are required, an unofficial copy of your score report can be used to review your application and must be uploaded at the time of submission. If you submit a test score that does not meet the minimum requirements to apply, you will be contacted by the admissions committee and given the opportunity to retake the exam. 

  • For applicants who took the test more than once, the Admissions Committee considers only the test with the highest total score taken within two years of the application deadline for which you apply.

  • If you plan to retake one of the required English Language Proficiency assessments after applying, you must inform the Admissions Committee of the date you intend to take the test via email to The Admissions Committee will proceed with the evaluation of your application using your submitted score, and may issue a decision prior to receiving additional test scores.

International applicants are considered for all merit-based scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I have only graduated from institutions in the United States (undergraduate and graduate). Do I need an International Credential Evaluation?

A: No, you do not need an International Credential Evaluation. 


Q: I have an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution and a graduate degree from an international institution. Do I need an International Credential Evaluation for my international graduate degree?

A: No, we only required the International Credential Evaluation for your undergraduate degree. The admissions committee reserves the right to request additional information if needed.


Q: I graduated from an institution outside of the U.S. that is a branch campus of a U.S. institution (for example, the American University of Beirut, NYU Shanghai, Duke Kunshan University). Do I need an International Credential Evaluation?

A: No, you do not need an International Credential Evaluation. 


Q: I have not graduated yet. Can I get an International Credential Evaluation while still enrolled?

A: Yes, you can get your transcripts evaluated while enrolled in your final year. You must provide the evaluation company with all of your coursework, including the courses you are currently taking and any additional information about your program. Your report must state that you will have a degree equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree upon completing your program.


Q: Other schools don’t need an International Credential Evaluation. Can NYU Wagner evaluate my transcripts without an International Credential Evaluation?

A: No, NYU Wagner does not provide internal evaluations. To ensure equity and transparency, we require a third party to evaluate all international credentials. 


Q: What third-party credential evaluator should I use?

A: We accept reports from any NACES-approved company. 


Q: None of my higher education degrees were taught in English. Do I need to show English proficiency?

A: Yes, you do need to provide us with proof of English proficiency.


Q: What tests do you accept?

A: We accept Duolingo, TOEFL, TOEFL at Home, or IELTS scores less than two years old upon submission.


Q: What are the min. required scores?

TOEFL (100), IELTS (7.0) Duolingo (TBA) 


Q: Can I submit new scores after submitting my application?

A: No, only individuals who score below our required scores will be invited to submit new scores.