International students generally make up close to 20% of the NYU Wagner student population. With representation from over 35 countries, they bring an element of diversity that enriches the Wagner community and enhances the learning experience.
International candidates are encouraged to apply early so that they will have enough time to arrange for a visa to study in the US.
U.S. Bachelor’s Equivalency
In order to be considered eligible for admission to any NYU Wagner academic programs, you must have received a U.S. bachelor’s or equivalent degree. Bachelor’s degrees length and curriculum varies from country to country, so we strongly encourage, but do not require, our international applicants to seek out a third party international credentials evaluator to assess U.S. bachelor’s equivalency and to do a course-by-course evaluation to ensure that you are eligible prior to applying. Please see below for a brief list of non-U.S. degrees that are equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree:
- Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka: Bachelor's and/or master's degree requiring a minimum of four years of university study.
- Canada: Three-year bachelor's degree from Quebec; four-year bachelor's degree from all other provinces.
- France or French patterned educational systems: A Maitrise or a diploma requiring four years of post-baccalaureate study from a university or a Grand Ecole.
- Germany: A university Diploma, Magister Artium, or Staatsexamen. Graduates of Fachhochschulen and Berufsakademies are not eligible. The Vordiplom by itself is not sufficient.
- Indonesia: Sarjana or Sarjana Legkap, awarded after five years of university study.
- Italy: Diploma di laurea di dottore, requiring four to six years of study or pursuant to Bologna Agreement requiring three years of study. Note that Bologna Agreement institutions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Mexico, Spain, and South America: Completion of all courses and thesis or professional exams required for the titulo or degree of Licenciado or Bacharel.
- People's Republic of China: A bachelors' degree representing four years of university study.
- Russia: The five-year diploma which is typically completed after five years of study.
- Turkey: The laciness or licentiate is considered the minimum required degree.
- United Kingdom: Three-year bachelor's degree from England or Wales or the four-year bachelor's degree from Scotland.
Submitting Non-U.S./Non-English Transcripts
We strongly encourage, but do not require, applicants to seek out a third party international credentials evaluator to assess U.S. bachelor’s equivalency and to do a course-by-course evaluation to ensure that you are eligible prior to applying. Third party evaluations allow NYU Wagner to process your applications more efficiently. We understand that third-party degree and course-by-course evaluations can get expensive, so NYU Wagner will waive the application fee for all international candidates that submit their academic transcripts to us via a third party international credentials evaluator.
Official transcripts will be requested upon admission. If your institution does not issue transcripts as defined above, you must submit a letter, in a sealed envelope, from the institution stating its policy. If you cannot obtain transcripts directly from the institution and you possess an original transcript, you may submit copies which have been certified by an appropriate embassy or consulate in the institution's country. To ensure the validity of the institution's transcripts, you should follow these steps:
- Submit your original transcripts to the embassy or consulate.
- Ask the embassy or consulate to copy the transcript and stamp each page of the copy verifying its authenticity.
- Ask the embassy or consulate to provide you with one sealed envelope containing the verified transcript. The back of the envelope should contain the embassy or consular officer signature to reflect the unaltered, true contents.
- Submit the unopened envelope and a photocopy of the degree conferral and/or diploma with your application.
Please note that you are required to submit both the official transcript and its English translation. If the institution you attend does not provide an English translation with the official transcript, you must obtain a certified English translation before submitting your application. Following these steps will ensure the validity of your transcript:
- Secure an official transcript from your institution in a sealed envelope.
- Submit your unopened official transcript to the translator.
- Ask the translator to prepare an official English translation.
- Ask the translator to provide you with one sealed envelope containing both your original transcript and its English translation. The back of the envelope must contain the translator's signature to reflect the unaltered, true contents.
- Submit the unopened envelope with your application.
International Credential Evaluation Providers
NYU Wagner will waive the application fee for all candidates that receive a detailed course-by-course and degree equivalency report. NYU Wagner has no preference over the selected vendors and is in no way affiliated with the companies listed. NYU Wagner is not responsible for the services offered by these vendors and cannot be held liable for any dispute regarding services rendered. Please review the terms and conditions of each vendor carefully, as directions and regulations vary.
- Educational Credential Evaluators
Course by Course Evaluation Cost: $195
Turnaround: 15 - 20 days
- Educational Perspectives
Course by Course Evaluation Cost: $160
Turnaround: 5 days
- International Education Research Foundation
Course by Course Evaluation Cost: $165 - $185
Turnaround: 15 - 20 days
Course by Course Evaluation Cost: $170
Turnaround: 12 - 15 days
- World Education Services
Course by Course Evaluation Cost: $160
Turnaround: 7 days
TOEFL and IELTS Tests
All applicants whose native language is not English and who did not receive either a bachelor's or graduate degree from an English-speaking institution must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
For the Executive MPA for Global Policy Leadership and the MS in Public Policy programs, our minimum TOEFL Score is 109 and our minimum IELTS Score is 7.5.
For all other programs, our minimum TOEFL Score is 100 and our minimum IELTS Score is 7.0.
Before submitting the online application, it is a requirement of admission that you upload a scanned copy of your score report into the online application. Please keep this in mind when planning for and scheduling your test.
When registering for the exam, you should ask the organizations administering the exams to send your official score reports directly to NYU Wagner using the institution code of 2507 (no department code is needed).
TOEFL and IELTS scores must be less than two years old in order for it to be considered valid.
Merit-Based Financial Aid
International applicants are automatically considered for all merit-based scholarships, fellowships (with supplemental essays included in application), and graduate assistantships.