FELPS Application Process
Applications for the 2018 Fellowship will be available in late July 2017, please check back on this website for information at that time. The information below is for historical purposes only. Dates and submission requirements will change for the 2018 Fellowship and will be updated in late July 2017.
2017 Fellowship applicants will receive their decision notification by October X, 2016.
Thank you for your interest in the Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service, a program of the NYU Leadership Initiative and NYU Wagner.
Complete applications, including a recommendation from your current direct supervisor, must be received by 12:00 noon (EST) on Thursday, September X, 2016.
1. To see if you are eligible for the program and to submit the strongest possible application, please start by reviewing the Eligibility Requirements on the right. You should then review the draft program schedule available here to ensure your availability for all Fellowship sessions. If you have additional questions, please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.
2. Complete the Application Form, including uploading your resume and a short personal statement. Please note that the entire application must be completed at one time. You may wish to review the application form and personal statement prompt and then return to the form once you have collected all of the necessary information.
3. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation page with a link to the Recommendation Form to share with your supervisor. The letter of recommendation must be submitted online by noon EST on September X, 2016. Out of fairness to all candidates, we cannot accept any late submissions for any reasons. In order to receive the link to the Recommendation Form and ensure that your supervisor has plently of time to complete and submit the recommendation, please do not wait to apply until the last minute. Recommendations cannot be submitted until a completed application has been received.
4. All applicants should reserve the full day on Saturday, November X, 2016, for the program Orientation. If you are unable to attend all of Orientation, we encourage you to apply for the program next year. No exceptions will be made for any reason, and accepted Fellows will not be able to participate in the 2017 program if they are unable to attend orientation in full.
5. We will notify all candidates of acceptance decisions by October X, 2016. Those accepted will receive the necessary information about how to pay the program fee, which is due by October X, 2016.
Thank you again for your interest in the program. We look forward to receiving your application and to a wonderful fellowship year!
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be recent graduates from an undergraduate institution. We expect a range of applicants, and there is no specific age limit, but accepted Fellows will have graduated from their undergraduate institutions (regardless of graduate work) in approximately the last two to four years.
- Most applicants will not have attended graduate school prior to the fellowship, but are still deciding between professional programs. Applicants must be employed full-time in a public service position in the New York City area at the time of application, and must stay in a public service position throughout the fellowship. Internships and part-time positions do not meet this requirement.
- Applicants must not be currently participating in another significant fellowship program.
- Applicants must commit to attending the mandatory day-long Orientation on November X, 2016, as well as two to three monthly evening sessions, to start around 5:45pm. Applicants must also be willing to make the time commitment to meet all deadlines and complete all assignments including reading and writing exercises (approximately two hours per week in addition to the sessions) as part of exploring public service and charting a five-year career path with the guidance of FELPS staff and advisors.
There is a $600 program fee to participate in the fellowship.
We suggest that each fellow encourage their organization to fund their participation in this valuable professional development opportunity, but that is up to the discretion of the individual and organization; each fellow is ultimately responsible for the $600 payment.
Payments can be made via check or credit card, and payment information will be included as part of the acceptance packet for those who are selected for the program. The program fee must be received in full by October X, 2016 for Fellows to participate.
The NYU Leadership Initiative subsidizes the bulk of the program cost for each Fellowship, which would otherwise cost more than $2,000 per Fellows. We are unable to offer scholarships or payment plans.
Selection of Fellows is based on the following criteria:
- A demonstrated commitment to public service through relevant work and volunteer experience
- Experience of, and/or potential for, advanced leadership
- Academic achievement
- Diversity of racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, public service organizations, and interests
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.
We encourage you to review all pages about the fellowship on the Web site closely. If you still have a question, please email us at: email@example.com.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept phone calls but will respond quickly (within three business days) via email.