FELPS Application Process
Applications are now closed for the 2020 Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service. Out of fairness to all applicants, we regret that we are unable to accept any late applications or recommendations regardless of the reason for late submission.
Applicants for the 2020 program who submitted completed applications by the deadline of noon EST on September 12, 2019 will be notified of our decision by October 4, 2019. For those applicants who are accepted, the $800 program fee must be paid in full by October 17, 2019 to participate in the fellowship. Payment information will be included as part of your acceptance packet.
All applicants must hold Saturday, November 4, 2019 on their calendars for a day-long Orientation. Participation for the full day is required.
*Information below is for historical purposes only. Applications for the 2021 program will be available in late July 2020. Please check back then. *
Please read through all of the information here before beginning your application, as applications cannot be saved.
Thank you for your interest in the Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service, a program of the NYU Leadership Initiative and NYU Wagner.
Complete applications, including a recommendation from your current direct supervisor, must be received by 12:00 noon (EST) on Thursday, September 12, 2019.
1. To see if you are eligible for the program and to submit the strongest possible application, please start by reviewing the Eligibility Requirements on this page. You should then review the draft program schedule available here to ensure your availability for all Fellowship sessions. Only apply if you are able to attend the orientation and all sessions in full. If you have additional questions, please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.
2. Complete the Application Form, including uploading your resume and a short personal statement. Please note that the entire application must be completed at one time. You may wish to review the application form and personal statement prompt and then return to the form once you have collected all of the necessary information. The link to the application form can be found at the bottom of this page.
3. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation page with a link to the Recommendation Form to share with your supervisor. The letter of recommendation must be submitted online by noon EST on September 12, 2019. Out of fairness to all candidates, we cannot accept any late submissions for any reasons. In order to receive the link to the Recommendation Form and ensure that your supervisor has plenty of time to complete and submit the recommendation, please do not wait to apply until the last minute. Recommendations cannot be submitted until a completed application has been received.
4. All applicants should reserve the full day on Saturday, November 2, 2019, for the program Orientation. If you are unable to attend all of Orientation, we encourage you to apply for the program next year. No exceptions will be made for any reason, and accepted Fellows will not be able to participate in the 2019 program if they are unable to attend orientation in full.
5. We will notify all candidates of acceptance decisions by October 4, 2019. Those accepted will receive the necessary information about how to pay the program fee, which is due by October 17, 2019.
Thank you again for your interest in the program. We look forward to receiving your application and to a wonderful fellowship year!
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be recent graduates from an undergraduate institution. We expect a range of applicants, and there is no specific age limit, but accepted Fellows will have graduated from their undergraduate institutions (regardless of graduate work) in approximately the last two to four years.
- Most applicants will not have attended graduate school prior to the fellowship, but are still deciding between professional programs. Applicants must be employed full-time in a public service position in the New York City area at the time of application, and must stay in a public service position throughout the fellowship (although they may change public service employers during the fellowship). Internships and part-time positions do not meet this requirement.
- Applicants must not be currently participating in another significant fellowship program. They must have the time to both attend evening sessions and complete assignments between sessions.
- Applicants must notify the program of any changes to employer, role, or status after the time of application by emailing email@example.com. Failure to do so may result in the application being removed from consideration and/or an offer being rescinded.
- Applicants must commit to attending the mandatory day-long Orientation on November 2, 2019, as well as two to three monthly sessions, to start around 5:45pm. Applicants must also be willing to make the time commitment to meet all deadlines and complete all assignments including reading and writing exercises (approximately two hours per week in addition to the sessions) as part of exploring public service and charting a five-year career path with the guidance of FELPS staff and advisors.
There is a $800 program fee to participate in the fellowship.
We suggest that each fellow encourage their organization to fund their participation in this valuable professional development opportunity, but that is up to the discretion of the individual and organization; each fellow is ultimately responsible for the $800 payment.
Payments can be made via check or credit card, and payment information will be included as part of the acceptance packet for those who are selected for the program. The program fee must be received in full by October 17, 2019 for Fellows to participate.
The NYU Leadership Initiative subsidizes the bulk of the program cost for each Fellowship, which would otherwise cost more than $2,000 per Fellow. We are unable to offer scholarships or payment plans.
Selection of Fellows is based on the following criteria:
- A demonstrated commitment to public service through relevant work and volunteer experience
- Experience of, and/or potential for, advanced leadership
- Academic achievement
- Diversity of racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, public service organizations, and interests
READY TO APPLY?
Click here for the application form. https://wagner.nyu.edu/leadership/felps/appform
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.
We encourage you to review all pages about the fellowship on the Web site closely. If you still have a question, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept phone calls but will respond quickly (within three business days) via email.