Adjunct Associate Professor of Public Administration
Doug Band currently serves as the President of Teneo Holdings and is formerly the Counselor to President Clinton. Teneo Holdings is a global advisory firm employing 200 experienced professionals in 13 global offices.
Band began working in the White House in 1995 and worked as President Clinton’s chief advisor until 2012, counseling him, serving as the key architect of Clinton's post-Presidency, and overseeing the 1400 employees and volunteers of the William J. Clinton Foundation. Band accompanied President Clinton on his travels across America and around the world and managed his post presidential operation.
Prior to his role as Counselor to President Clinton, Doug Band served in the White House Counsel's office for four years, becoming a Special Assistant to the President before he was made one of the youngest Deputy Assistants ever to serve a President. Band concluded his last years in the White House in the Oval Office as the President's Aide.
Doug Band is a graduate of the University of Florida and while working at the White House for 6 years, Band simultaneously obtained a masters degree from Georgetown University in Liberal Arts and a Law degree from Georgetown University Law School by attending both programs in the evenings.
Doug Band has traveled to nearly 100 countries, over 2000 cities and has helped and advised several heads of state transition out of public office into private life. He created and built the Clinton Global Initiative that to date has raised 69 billion dollars for 2,100 philanthropic initiatives around the world spanning climate change, global health, citizen service, education and the empowerment of women and girls which in total impacts over 400 million people in 180 countries.
Doug Band continues to serve his country in assisting various domestic agencies and advising foreign governments on nation building, infrastructure creation and democratic governance structure. Doug and his wife Lily currently live in New York City with their three children, Max, Sophie and Elle.
- Coca-Cola Company International Advisory Board
- Georgetown University Board of Regents
- Clinton Global Initiative Advisory Board
- Clinton Foundation Sweden Board of Directors, the Humana Challenge in Partnership with the Clinton Foundation Board of Directors
- Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum | Trustee
- New York City Football Club Board of Directors
- Vote Vets Board of Advisors|
- Boy’s Club of NY Board of Trustees
- Center for American Progress | Trustee
- First Tee of NY | Trustee
- Former: Board of Directors of the United States Bid Committee for the United States Soccer Federation.
- Lincoln Center Business Advisory Board
- Brookings Center for Universal Education Advisory Board
The Intersection of Politics and Public Service
Public service is often studied or practiced in ways that are disconnected from politics. This course reunites these two realms in ways that persuasively demonstrate the deep interconnection of non-governmental service work and practical politics. Taught by a veteran of White House, foundation, nonprofit, and private sector organizations, this class will explore the complex nature of public service in even the most charged political contexts. The course will use case studies, historical examples, and fascinating guest speakers.
In the Press
Long-time Clinton Advisor Joins NYU Faculty
Washington Square News