MPA in Public & Nonprofit Management & Policy
How will you be making your impact in public service in five or ten years? It's almost impossible to say. The boundaries between roles and sectors are blurring—to be effective, you'll need a broad education and a firm grasp of how skills and ideas translate in different real-world contexts. With NYU Wagner's interdisciplinary MPA-PNP coursework in finance, policy, and management, and NYC as your urban laboratory, you'll be prepared to address the most pressing issues of our time in the many fields, sectors, and policy arenas that your career will span.
- Engaged and influential faculty members who encourage you to test the skills and ideas you develop in the classroom against your real-world professional experiences—and vice versa.
- Critical analytic skills and frameworks in management, finance, and policy that you'll need to successfully make an impact across sectors, fields, and policy arenas.
- A powerful community whose members can connect you to key organizations, contacts, and career opportunities worldwide.
- The option to pick electives by issue, as well as by specialization.
- Flexibility for full- or part-time students, with options to switch between the two. Earn your degree in two years full-time, or 3-4 years part-time.
Advocacy & Political Action
The Advocacy and Political Action specialization prepares you to magnify your impact and create meaningful change in the civic engagement, political, and advocacy arenas.
The Financial Management and Public Finance specialization prepares you for a finance career in the nonprofit, public, or private sector.
The International Policy and Management specialization prepares students with an interest in global public service work to confront the challenges of implementing complex public service policies and programs in different international contexts.
The specialization in Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations gives you the breadth and depth of skills you'll need to lead and manage organizations around the world.
Which policies are doing what they're designed to do, and which could do their job better? The Public Policy Analysis specialization gives you tools to make these evaluations and play a leading role in evaluating and creating policy that better serves the public good.
The Social Impact, Innovation, and Investment specialization blends financial management, impact investment, operations, and policy to prepare you to develop entrepreneurial solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges.
Total credits required to graduate: 45
Degree Core Courses
The Capstone Program, a year-long consulting or research project that's required for all MPA students, puts you out in the world, resolving a problem or conducting an analysis for a client organization.
Clustering elective courses around an issue area enables you to develop a course of study that most closely meets your needs and interests, and provides specialized training around an area of expertise.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
NYU Wagner is deeply committed to education outside of the classroom. First-hand work experience in your field of choice can be a pivotal experience, and our New York City location offers countless opportunities for career exploration. To this end, NYU Wagner requires all MPA and MUP students to graduate with professional experience that is directly related to their degree program and field of interest.
Students can fulfill this requirement in one of two ways:
- Enter NYU Wagner with at least two years of full-time, degree-relevant, professional experience; or
- Complete the Professional Experience Requirement (PER), which means working a minimum of 280–560 hours in a degree-relevant job or internship while attending NYU Wagner and before enrolling in Capstone.