Ellen Schall Experience Fund
In Summer 2020, NYU Wagner will award up to 25 students with $7,500 stipends to take on unpaid, full-time, public service summer internships. This allows students to explore professional opportunities to achieve their career goals, regardless of compensation or financial need. In addition, awardees participate in professional development events throughout the summer.
Past ESEF recipients have interned at public, nonprofit, and private organizations all over the world, working in many different fields and industries. Through these positions, more than 95% were able to clarify their career goals, expand their professional networks, gain important skills, and apply classroom learnings to the real world. What might ESEF help you accomplish?
The Ellen Schall Experience Fund provides financial support and professional development opportunities for students who have secured an unpaid summer internship in the field of public service. NYU Wagner students, including international students in lawful F-1 or J-1 status sponsored by NYU, must meet all of the criteria to be eligible:
- Currently enrolled (and taking classes) in an MPA, MUP, or Executive MPA program at NYU Wagner.
- A continuing student who has completed at least six NYU Wagner credits prior to April 2020 (This credit requirement does not apply to EMPA students).
- In good academic standing at NYU Wagner with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Confirmed to work in an unpaid, degree relevant full-time (35+ hrs/wk) summer internship for at least 10 weeks between May 2020 and September 2020.
The ESEF is NOT open to:
- Students graduating before or in September 2020.
Students working in internships for fewer than 35 hours per week.
- BA/MPA and BA/MUP students who have not yet matriculated into NYU Wagner.
- Students receiving compensation exceeding $500 (including travel/food stipends) for any summer 2020 internship.
- Students taking a gap year or leave of absence in academic year 2020-2021.
2020 Application DATES (ROUND 2)
- ESEF Application Opens: 9:00 am ET - Monday, April 20, 2020
- ESEF Application Deadline: 12:00 pm (Noon) ET - Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- Employer Verification Form Deadline: 4:00 pm ET - Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- ESEF Award Announcements: Wednesday, May 13, 2020
- If you applied in the first round, you do not have to reapply and you will be notified on April 24.
- Students who are applying in this second round should note that the award is based on the internship with which you apply. If you accept a different internship at a later date the funds are not transferable.
- This second deadline will be very competitive and the selection committee will have to make some difficult decisions. Writing a thoughtful and thorough application increases your chances.
- More questions? Join the ESEF Information Sessions below or email email@example.com.
ESEF INFORMATION SESSIONS
The NYU Wagner Office of Career Services will host information sessions and drop-in hours during March and April for students who want to learn more about the Ellen Schall Experience Fund.
- ESEF Webinar Information Session: 3:00 - 3:45 pm ET - Tuesday, April 21
- ESEF Webinar Information Session: 12:00 - 12:45 pm ET - Wednesday, April 29
Learn more and RSVP via the NYU Wagner Career Directory.
TAX INFORMATION: An ESEF stipend is considered an award/prize for tax purposes. Payments of this kind, which are issued for something other than an educational budget (tuition and fees), are taxable. US students do not pay taxes on the stipend when it is issued, but will owe taxes on the amount at the end of the year. US students will receive a 1098 for the taxable amount since the ESEF stipends are not tied to tuition and fees. International students will pay taxes on the stipend when it is issued and should not owe additional tax on the amount at year end. To learn more, visit http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf.
STUDENTS CONSIDERING NON-US INTERNSHIPS: All students who are planning to intern in a non-US location (this does not include one's home country) must be in compliance with NYU policies and go through a travel safety vetting process in order to receive funding. If you have questions or need more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESEF AWARDS ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE: If you apply and are selected for an award, you cannot change internships and still retain your award. Award decisions are based on funding students for specific opportunities and cannot be transferred to new positions.
View Past Internships
- Action Against Hunger
- Akilah Institute
- Ashoka: Innovators for the Public
- Asian Development Bank
- Beijing Forever Henghuaï Technology Co., Ltd.
- Cause Strategy Partners, LLC
- Center for an Urban Future
- China Center for Urban Development
- China General Chamber of Commerce (CGCC) Foundation
- Citizens Union
- EcoPeace Middle East
- Educational Alliance
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Fight for a Better America
- Harboring Hearts
- High NY
- Institute for Child Success
- International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect
- International Republican Institute - Uganda
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Kipsongo Project
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
- Make the Road New York
- Mount Sinai Health System
- Mura no Mirai
- National Organization for Women - New York City
- NYC Administration of Children's Services
- NYC Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development
- NYC Mayor's Office of Recovery & Resiliency
- NYU College of Dentistry
- Office of the New York City Public Advocate
- Ology Research Group
- Philadelphia Reentry Coalition
- Research Center for Climate and Energy Finance
- UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women
- UN Women
- United Family Hospital
- United Nations
- United Nations Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs
- United Nations Dept. of Field Support
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
- Urban Arts Partnership
- US Dept. of State, Office of Global Partnerships
- World Research Institute WRI - Mexico