Ellen Schall Experience Fund
Each year, NYU Wagner awards up to 50 students with $5,000 stipends to take on unpaid public service summer internships. This allows them to explore professional opportunities to achieve their career goals, regardless of compensation or financial need. In addition, awardees participate in professional development events throughout the summer.
Past ESEF recipients have interned at public, nonprofit, and private organizations all over the world, working in many different fields and industries. Through these positions, more than 95% were able to clarify their career goals, expand their professional networks, gain important skills, and apply classroom learnings to the real world. What might ESEF help you accomplish?
The Ellen Schall Experience Fund provides financial support and professional development workshops for students who have secured an unpaid summer internship in the field of public service. NYU Wagner students, including international students in lawful F-1 or J-1 status sponsored by NYU, must be all of the following to apply:
- Currently enrolled (and taking classes) in an MPA, MUP, or Executive MPA program at Wagner
- A continuing student who has completed at least six Wagner credits prior to applying for the ESEF. EMPA students can apply in their first semester at Wagner.
- In good academic standing at Wagner with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Confirmed to work in an unpaid, degree relevant full-time (35+ hrs/wk) summer internship for at least 10 weeks between May 2018 and September 2018. Students who are taking international summer courses can intern for a minimum of 8 weeks.
The ESEF is not open to:
- Students graduating before or in May 2018
- BA/MPA and BA/MUP students who have not yet matriculated into Wagner
- Students receiving compensation exceeding $500 (including travel/food stipends) for any summer 2018 internship
The ESEF Application for summer 2018 will open on Tuesday, March 6. Upon completing the online application, students will receive a link and instructions for the employer verification process.
(Late materials will not be accepted.)
- ESEF Application Opens: Tuesday, March 6, 2018
- ESEF Application Deadline: 9:00 am EST on Thursday, April 19, 2018
- Employer Verification Form Deadline: Friday, April 20, 2018
- ESEF Award Announcement: Friday, April 27, 2018
FINANCIAL AID: The ESEF is processed as an award and may have an impact on recipients’ financial aid package.
STUDENTS LOOKING AT INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS: All students who are looking to intern in a non-US location must be in compliance with NYU policies and go through a travel safety vetting process in order to receive funding. If you have questions or need more information, please contact email@example.com.
My Summer Internship Experience: Sohana Islam
Sohana Islam, MPA student, shares her experience of interning with charity: water through the Ellen Schall Experience Fund.
View Past Internships
- Action Against Hunger
- Akilah Institute
- Ashoka: Innovators for the Public
- Asian Development Bank
- Beijing Forever Henghuaï Technology Co., Ltd.
- Cause Strategy Partners, LLC
- Center for an Urban Future
- China Center for Urban Development
- China General Chamber of Commerce (CGCC) Foundation
- Citizens Union
- EcoPeace Middle East
- Educational Alliance
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Fight for a Better America
- Harboring Hearts
- High NY
- Institute for Child Success
- International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect
- International Republican Institute - Uganda
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Kipsongo Project
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
- Make the Road New York
- Mount Sinai Health System
- Mura no Mirai
- National Organization for Women - New York City
- NYC Administration of Children's Services
- NYC Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development
- NYC Mayor's Office of Recovery & Resiliency
- NYU College of Dentistry
- Office of the New York City Public Advocate
- Ology Research Group
- Philadelphia Reentry Coalition
- Research Center for Climate and Energy Finance
- UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women
- UN Women
- United Family Hospital
- United Nations
- United Nations Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs
- United Nations Dept. of Field Support
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
- Urban Arts Partnership
- US Dept. of State, Office of Global Partnerships
- World Research Institute WRI - Mexico