Effective Management Skills and Knowledge
The Health Services Management specialization provides frameworks to understand the challenges of managing health care in a changing environment and the skills necessary to be effective in management roles. Topics include design and control in health organizations, management of service operations, the personnel function and human resources management in health settings, information systems, marketing and strategic planning.
Required Specialization Courses
- HPAM-GP 1830, Introduction to Health Policy and Management OR HPAM-GP 1831, Introduction to Global Health Policy
- HPAM-GP 2825, Continuous Quality Improvement
- HPAM-GP 4822, Healthcare Information Technology: Public Policy and Management
- HPAM-GP 4823, Healthcare Information Technology for Managers
- HPAM-GP 4830, Health Economics: Principles
- HPAM-GP 4833, Health Care Mgt I: Control and Organizational Design
- HPAM-GP 4834, Health Care Management II: Adaptation and the Professional Manager
- HPAM-GP 4835, Principles of Human Resources Management for Health Care Orgs
- HPAM-GP 4840, Financial Management for Health Care Orgs - I: Financial Management and Budgeting
All Capstone projects begin in the fall and are completed at the end of the spring semester. Full-time students who begin in the spring semester typically need 2½ years to complete their degree.