SOCIAL SECTOR LEADERSHIP SURVEY
Are you an Executive Director or senior manager at a nonprofit, social enterprise, foundation or other social sector organization? Please share what you think about the state of social sector leadership and whether leaders have access to the resources they need to succeed at scale for a new McKinsey & Company survey. The findings will be shared later this year.
» Take the survey
PROFESSOR DAVID ELCOTT RECEIVES MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. AWARD
NYU Wagner Professor and RCLA affiliated faculty member David Elcott has been chosen to receive the Provost’s prestigious 2013 Martin Luther King, Jr. Faculty Award, presented to outstanding faculty members - nominated by students - who exemplify the spirit of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., through their teaching excellence, leadership, commitment to social justice, and community-building work.
» Learn more
LEADING TO ECONOMIC SECURITY
What are the links between strengthening women's leadership and building greater economic security for America's vulnerable communities? A panel sponsored by the National Council for Research on Women and RCLA will explore how stakeholders can work together to increase the number of women in decision-making roles and to reduce poverty facing millions of women and their families.
Speakers at the March 5 event will include Mimi Abramovitz, Bertha Capen Reynolds Professor of Social Policy, Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College; and Mallika Dutt, President and CEO of Breakthrough. Cindy Rodriguez, staff reporter at WNYC New York Public Radio, will moderate.
» RSVP now
STUDENTS TO FOCUS ON EFFECTIVE TRANSITIONS AT WAGNER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
The NYU Wagner Leadership Academy offers representatives of graduate student groups a space to work together on managment challenges, learn from each other and apply leadership theories in their work. A Wagner Leadership Academy session on February 15 will focus on effective leadership transitions, giving student leaders a chance to reflect on their accomplishments so far, clarify their future direction and provide the necessary support for incoming leaders.
» Learn more about the WLA
SPEED-DATING TO SHARE KNOWLEGE & RESOURCES: RCLA PRACTICE NOTE
This guide shows how to design and facilitate a session, based on the speed-dating model, in which leaders can exchange essential knowledge and resources in under 90 minutes.
» Read the Practice Note
NEWS AND EVENTS
- Get updates on leadership programs, research, events, news, fellowships and more: Follow us on Twitter
- “Advancing Relational Leadership Research and Practice,” an upcoming RCLA event, will offer a lively discussion on developing a relational view of leadership that help organizations capitalize on the complex webs of relationships and interconnectivity in today’s work environment. February 25, 12:00-1:30pm. » RSVP now
- Hear from the Bloomberg Innovation Delivery Fellows about the work of Innovation Delivery Teams to help Mayors in five cities tackle top priorities including reducing street homelessness, handgun violence and homicides; improving customer service and processing times for city services; scaling energy efficiency efforts and revitalizing neighborhoods and encouraging business growth. The event is co-sponsored by the NYU Wagner Office of Career Services; February 28, 5:00-6:30pm. » RSVP now
- In a new Faculty Spotlight Webinar, “How Do Leaders Act as ‘Sensegivers?’" RCLA faculty member Erica Gabrielle Foldy will discuss her research on what enables and inhibits working and learning together across potential divisions like race and gender, profession or differences of opinion, and how leaders act as "sensegivers" to affect their constituents' capacity for joint work. February 28, 12:00-1:00 pm » Register now
- The Early Admissions deadline for RCLA’s Global Social Change Leadership Institute is noon EST on February 15, 2013. Through the summer program, emerging leaders from across the globe gain knowledge and skills to work for social justice, develop an action plan to create change in their communities, and build a network of other committed advocates. » Apply now
- Advancing Women Professionals and the Jewish Community, founded by RCLA Senior Fellow Shifra Bronznick, recently launched a pledge for men not to speak on all-male panels and to recommend their female counterparts instead. The effort, which aims to prompt people to think more intentionally about gender (and other forms of) equity, has caught on, including through an article in The Atlantic.
- In "The Talent Agenda," a new monthly column for Idealist Careers, Rusty Stahl, RCLA visiting fellow in residence, will share his thoughts on how organizations and foundations can do more to support the careers and development of nonprofit professionals. He starts by offering a new framework: Talent Philanthropy.
- In a new Huffington Post article, RCLA Faculty Director Sonia Ospina examines the puzzling leadership gap as the New York NAACP and Hispanic Federation join the soda industry to fight a government ban.
- RCLA Senior Visiting Scholar Barbara Kellerman is participating in the Good Democratic Leadership Symposium at Yale University, February 15-17.
- Shifra Bronznick gave the closing address on “Dynamics of Institutional Change from a Feminist Perspective” at the Hebrew College Winter Seminar on Jewish Feminist Theology, Theory and Practice; Newton, MA; January 22-25. Shifra also gave a workshop on “How School Leaders Can Navigate Life and Work” at the North American Jewish Day School Conference; Washington, DC; February 3-5.
- As a guest presenter for the "Implementing Change" graduate course at UNC Chapel Hill, Rusty Stahl shared the Top Six Benefits of Working in a Foundation, as well as tips for students on nonprofit careers, social entrepreneurship and philanthropy.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- NYU Wagner's Career Expo will bring together representatives of public service organizations to increase their visibility among industry peers and to meet with hundreds of Master's degree candidates and alumni. The Expo is hosted by NYU Wagner and four other leading public policy institutions; March 7, 2013. » Learn more and register now