Instructions for NYU Courses Outside of Wagner
Courses at Other Schools
With the permission of the faculty, Wagner students may take courses offered by other divisions at NYU when such coursework is relevant to their program and enhances the students’ educational experience. To determine if a course outside of Wagner is a good match for you:
- Obtain and review the syllabus. Please note that the syllabi on the Pre-Approved University-Wide Electives list are provided as a reference for students. For the most up-to-date syllabi, contact the department offering the course.
- Check the University course search. Note that Law School courses will be found at this link.
- Check for prerequisites or other restrictions. Students who are unsure about their eligibility to take a course should contact the appropriate school or department in which the course is taught.
- Check if the course is on our Pre-Approved University-Wide Electives list.
Instructions for Obtaining Approval for Electives Not on Pre-Approved List
If the course is not on the Pre-Approved University-Wide Electives list and NYU Wagner does not teach a similar course, but the course is open to NYU Wagner students and prerequisites have been met, students must forward the following to Wagner Student Services. These items must be scanned into one PDF document:
- Your name and your University ID# (N....)
- Your program and specialization
- A short concise memo explaining the three points below:
- The reason for requesting to take the course, including demonstration that Wagner does not teach a similar course
- How the course is relevant to public service
- How the course fits with your public service academic and career goals
- The course syllabus
- A list of the specific course prerequisites and how you have met them. If the non-Wagner school has an explicit prerequisite or proficiency policy (for example, Stern), you must outline how you have met that school's requirement.
- Your unofficial NYU Wagner transcript downloaded from Albert
The course syllabus and request will then be processed by your Student Services Program Advisor who will send it to the appropriate faculty member to determine whether it is relevant to the NYU Wagner degree program and specialization. The faculty will review your request thoroughly. Decisions rendered are final.
Note: Students may submit a request once per semester. If you intend to request a back-up course if your first choice is denied, you must submit the back-up course and first-choice course at the same time.
Instructions for Registering for University-Wide Electives
- If the course appears on the Pre-Approved University-Wide Electives list, review and follow registration procedure for the relevant school (see links to the left).
- If the course does not appear on the Pre-Approved list, first obtain approval (see above) and then review and follow registration procedure for the relevant school (see links to the left).
Fall 2018 TIMELINE:
May 14 (5:00pm): Priority deadline to submit non pre-approved registration requests to Wagner Student Services.
August 20 (5:00pm): Deadline to request to take any non-Wagner course.
Reminder: Check the specific school deadlines listed on the school pages (see left navigation for links).
Note: Non-Wagner Courses and Grading
Wagner's grading scale applies for courses taken in other divisions of the University. Any grade lower than a "C-" (lowest grade before an "F") received for coursework in other divisions cannot be counted toward a Wagner degree.
Note: Undergraduate and Foreign Language Courses
Undergraduate level and foreign language courses cannot be applied to any degree offered by Wagner.