Incomplete Grades and Auditing

Incomplete Grades

Incomplete grades 

It is the expectation that students will complete all course requirements on time.  Students are penalized for failing to meet course requirements as scheduled in the syllabus; papers, homework assignments, and exams not completed by the due date will result in a diminished grade, the grade of zero, or the grade of F for the specific assignment.

Students may be assigned an incomplete grade by a faculty member only under documented extraordinary circumstances and will be required to agree in writing and meet completion requirements set forth by the instructor on or before the end of the semester following the request. 

Incomplete Grade Assignment Requires Documentation

All circumstances leading to the request of an incomplete grade must have clear documentation (e.g. medical note, obituary notice, employer’s note), which must be reviewed and approved by the instructor.  If approved, the documentation must be attached to the Incomplete Grade Request Form and is completed and signed by both the student and the instructor.

Incomplete Pass (IP) Versus Incomplete Fail (IF)

Instructors will assign an incomplete grade based on the student’s submitted assignments at the time of the request. The grade of IP will be assigned when a student is passing the class given actual performance. If there are no graded assignments or the student is currently failing the course, the instructor will assign a grade of IF. If the student audits the course the following semester with a different instructor, the second instructor provides an advisory grade and other performance information to the original instructor for consideration in a final grade determination.

Resolving Incomplete Grade

On the Incomplete Grade Request Form, instructors will clearly define the product to be delivered before the end of the next semester by the student. Requirements should be made on the basis of (a) written assignments or academic product or (b) by auditing and successfully passing the course the following semester.

Deadline to Resolve Incomplete Grade

All incomplete grades must be resolved on or before the end of the next semester. Incomplete grades from courses taken in the January, Spring, or Summer terms must be resolved by the end of the following Fall semester. Incomplete grades from courses taken in the Fall must be resolved by the end of the following Spring semester. The instructor will set a specific due date on or before the end of the next semester by which all work must be submitted and this due date will be recorded on the Incomplete Grade Request Form.

In exceptional cases where a core, specialization, or program requirement is not offered the following semester, the timeline may be extended one additional semester, subject to approval by the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs upon written application by the student with the approval of the instructor. Work for elective offerings must be completed by the end of the semester following the incomplete grade request without exception.

Unresolved incompletes will convert to a grade. If an incomplete is not resolved by the deadline established, an IP grade will convert to an N grade and an IF grade will convert to an F.

Incomplete Grade Counts As Attempt

An incomplete will count as the first attempt of a course. Students are allowed two attempts at a course.

Students with two or more IP or IF grades on their transcript will be placed on academic probation.

Withdrawal Option

In situations where students cannot demonstrate extraordinary circumstances, students still have the option to withdraw from a course (with a “W” on the transcript) prior to the last day of classes. Students who choose this option must follow the policy and procedure outlined here.


Auditing is generally permitted when the student needs assistance in eliminating an incomplete grade (IP or IF). However students (or alumni) can request to complete a recreational audit of a course with the permission of the instructor.

There is fee associated with auditing a course. The fee to audit a course to eliminate an incomplete grade is $750.00. To learn the fee for a recreational audit, please email Students who are auditing a course and are not registered for other courses will also be required to pay the maintenance of matriculation fee.

Signed permission of the instructor and Academic Services is required. An audit space is not guaranteed and is subject to the instructor’s approval as well as the availability of seats.

For a recreational audit, students must wait until the week before the course starts in order to make the request. If there are available seats at that point, Academic Services can proceed with the audit process. Please note that students do not receive a record (such as a grade) for a recreational audit and completion of all coursework and course exams may be required.

To register to audit and pay the fee, can contact