RCLA Announces 2014 Class of Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service
NYU Wagner's Research Center for Leadership in Action is pleased to announce that 30 accomplished early-career professionals have been selected to participate in the Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service, a premier cross-sector leadership program for a diverse group of emerging leaders in New York City.
The fellowship, now in its ninth year, helps recent college graduates reflect on and strengthen their leadership abilities, deepen their understanding of the public service arena, and engage in strategic career development. Through bi-weekly sessions over the course of seven months, fellows hear from senior officials and nonprofit executives about their own career trajectories and receive ongoing guidance from accomplished professionals who serve as career and alumni guides.
Previous speakers have included Jennifer Jones Austin, co-chair of Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio's transition team; Khary Lazarre-White, co-founder and executive director of The Brotherhood-Sister Sol; and New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott.
The fellowship was founded by Ellen Schall, former dean of NYU's Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, and is sponsored by NYU Wagner's Research Center for Leadership in Action. It reflects RCLA's broader work to develop the knowledge and capacity for leadership to transform society.
The fellows selected are from diverse backgrounds and have demonstrated a commitment to public service and leadership. They work for a variety of nonprofit, government, philanthropic and private enterprises advancing the public good.
This year's Fellows are:
- Alejandro Alvarez, New York City Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Aryana Anderson, Apollo Theater Foundation
- Christopher (Chris) Anderson, The Good Dog Foundation
- Catherine Armstrong, MDRC
- Sarah Baker, Open Society Foundations
- Jerry Bruno, New York City Department of Small Business Services
- Sadie Casamenti, Office of the New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator
- Victoria Cohen, Hunts Point Alliance for Children
- Karina de Sousa, National Urban League
- Emily Distel, US Fund for UNICEF
- Kathleen (Kate) Effland, Taproot Foundation
- Allison Farer, Harlem RBI
- Danielle Goetter, Fund for Public Health in New York
- Queen Golder, Girl Scouts of the USA
- Sara Gonzalez, Day One
- Reva Gorelick, Uncommon Schools
- Taylor Jo Isenberg, Roosevelt Institute
- Gary Johnson, New York City Department of Small Business Services
- Primo Lasana, iMentor
- Maria Lee, New York City Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Katie Long, Eye to Eye
- Bianca Martinez, New York College Advising Corps
- Lucia Mattox, Achievement First
- James (Jamie) Nadeau, The Opportunity Network
- Roland Persaud, Center for Employment Opportunities
- Lauren Pizer, Explore Charter School
- Adam Schulman, Explore Schools
- Linda Shum, Brooklyn Prospect Charter School
- Bonny Tsang, New York City Campaign Finance Board
- Tessa Vithayathil, City Harvest