How and when to register a Professional Experience Requirement (PER) position?
Once you have secured a position that matches the above requirements, you must submit it for approval in the Career Directory by following these steps:
- Login to the Career Directory
- In the PER box on the right side of your homepage, click ‘PER Entry into Career Directory’, then click the 'Add New Experience' icon
- For PER Type, select "1st PER Position" and complete the required fields, then click "Submit" at the bottom of the form. The status icon in your Experiential Learning box will indicate that your form is Pending. (If this is your 2nd PER Position, choose this option instead and follow the same steps)
- Please allow 5-10 business days for your position to be reviewed for approval by the Office of Career Services. If approved, the status icon in your Experiential Learning box will change to Approved. At this point, you will have successfully registered your PER Position and satisfied this degree requirement.
- Your Albert records will be updated to reflect your approval within 10 business days.
- If your position does not qualify for the PER, you will receive an email explaining why it was not approved. This will be sent to the email address you used to log in to the Career Directory.
- PER positions must be registered and started before a student starts Capstone. For example, a student may register a PER position for approval to start an internship that begins on July 15 and ends on October 1. This type of timeframe is acceptable since the position commences before the first day of Capstone. Alternatively, many students will begin their PER job or internship on May 15 and finish it on August 15, which is also acceptable. A student's PER must be shown as approved in the system in order to register for Capstone, so students should register their positions as soon as they begin.
- Students typically start PER positions in the summer before Capstone, while others may start PER in the spring semester before Capstone. When a student begins PER generally depends on the opportunity and its relevance. [See all FAQs for the PER]