Professional Experience Requirement (PER)
What You Need To Know
Your odds of succeeding in the job market increase when you have relevant, meaningful professional experience in your chosen field. To ensure you’re prepared for your post-graduate career, NYU Wagner requires all MPA and MUP students to fulfill the Professional Experience Requirement (PER).
Do you have PER questions? We’re here to help. Review the FAQ below and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to discuss your PER in more detail.
Note: International students must follow specific guidelines when pursuing PER and working in the United States. Read more about the additional requirements relevant to you.
- How do I know if I have to complete PER?
- What types of jobs and internships qualify for PER?
- Do I have to work a minimum number of weeks or hours to fulfill PER?
- I’m not sure if my job or internship will qualify for PER. How can I check?
- Where can I get assistance finding a PER position?
- What is the deadline for completing and submitting PER?
- I believe I should have been waived out of PER when I was admitted. What are my next steps?
- How do I submit my PER position or my PER Waiver for approval?
- How many PERs do I have to complete?
All MPA and MUP students are required to fulfill the PER prior to starting Capstone. There are two ways you can fulfill the requirement:
- Waive the PER if you are entering NYU Wagner with two years of full-time, degree-relevant experience, or
- Complete a degree-relevant experience while enrolled at NYU Wagner.
Your PER position must be directly relevant to your degree program and specialization as well as your career goals. The experience must provide opportunities to practically apply the skills and knowledge gained through your coursework and to gain the skills and knowledge needed to compete for employment in your field of interest.
If you are a full-time student (attending school full-time), you should work 15-20 hours per week during fall or spring semester or 20-35 hours per week in the summer. PER positions for full-time students should last a minimum of (8) eight weeks.
If you are a part time student and you are currently working full-time (35+ hours per week) in a degree relevant role, you may submit that position for PER. If you are not sure whether your current full-time position is relevant or if it does not align with your long term career goals, you can schedule a meeting with a career advisor to discuss your options.
If you are considering using a position for the PER and want to verify that it qualifies as “relevant” before accepting the position, please first review this page to ensure it meets all applicable qualifications. If you are still unsure whether the position will qualify for PER, please schedule an advising appointment with an OCS advisor via the NYU Wagner Career Directory to discuss the position in more detail.
NYU Wagner’s Office of Career Services staff is available to advise you on strategies and resources for identifying degree relevant positions, submitting strong application materials, and conducting successful interviews. The Office of Career Services does not place students into jobs or internships for PER.
You are required to submit your PER for approval no later than August 1 prior to the fall term in which you will commence Capstone. Keep in mind that you don’t have to have completed your PER position at the time you submit it for approval. You could submit a position that you’re about to start or one in which you’re currently working. Currently enrolled students can also submit a pre-approval form or schedule a career advising appointment for additional guidance.
In order to qualify for a PER waiver, you must have entered NYU Wagner with two years of full-time, degree relevant work experience. If you meet that requirement, simply submit a PER Waiver via the NYU Wagner Career Directory following the directions in the next section. If you are an incoming student, will have access to the NYU Wagner Career Directory beginning in mid-August. At that time, incoming students will be able to submit a PER Waiver. If you have questions about your PER and/or would like to discuss it further with a staff member, you will have access to book appointments with an OCS advisor starting on the first day of classes.
- Log in to the NYU Wagner Career Directory
- Click “PER" on your home page
- Click “Add New Experience”
- Select whether you are submitting a Waiver, or submitting your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd PER Position
- Complete the form in full and click “Submit”
- Please allow 5-10 business days for Career Services staff to review your submission and follow up with you via email.
You are only required to complete one PER, but you have the option of completing up to three.