Professional Experience Requirement (PER)
What You Need To Know
Your odds of succeeding in the job market increase when you have relevant, meaningful professional experience in your chosen field. To ensure you’re prepared for your post-graduate career, NYU Wagner requires all MPA and MUP students to fulfill the Professional Experience Requirement (PER). The admissions letter you received upon acceptance to NYU Wagner indicates whether your PER was waived or if you have to complete PER while enrolled.
Do you have PER questions? We’re here to help. Review the FAQ below and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to discuss your PER in more detail.
Note: International students must follow specific guidelines when pursuing PER and working in the United States. Read more about the additional requirements relevant to you.
- How do I know if I have to complete PER?
- What types of jobs and internships qualify for PER?
- Do I have to work a minimum number of weeks or hours to fulfill PER?
- I’m not sure if my job or internship will qualify for PER. How can I check?
- Where can I get assistance finding a PER position?
- What is the deadline for completing and submitting PER?
- I believe I should have been waived out of PER when I was admitted. What are my next steps?
- How do I submit my PER position or my PER Waiver for approval?
- How many PERs do I have to complete?
MPA or MUP students who enter NYU Wagner with less than two years of full-time, degree-relevant experience are required to fulfill the PER. If you are unsure of whether you must complete the PER, you can view your PER status in Albert in the Student Center Holds section.
Your PER position must be directly relevant to your degree program and specialization as well as your career goals. The experience must provide opportunities to practically apply the skills and knowledge gained through your coursework and to gain the skills and knowledge needed to compete for employment in your field of interest.
If you’re a full-time student you should work 15-20 hours per week during fall or spring semester or 35 hours per week in the summer. PER positions should last a minimum of 8 eight weeks. Part-time students who work full-time typically work 35 hours per week in a PER-related role.
If you are considering using a position for the PER and want to verify that it qualifies as “relevant” before accepting the position, please complete a PER Pre-Approval Form. Career Services staff will review your form and follow up in 3-5 business days.
NYU Wagner’s Office of Career Services staff is available to advise you on strategies and resources for identifying degree relevant positions, submitting strong application materials, and conducting successful interviews. The Office of Career Services does not place students into jobs or internships for PER.
You are required to submit your PER for approval prior to your enrollment in Capstone. Keep in mind that you don’t have to have completed your PER position at the time you submit it for approval. You could submit a position that you’re about to start or one in which you’re currently working.
In order to qualify for a PER waiver, you must have entered NYU Wagner with two years of full-time, degree relevant work experience. If you meet that requirement, simply submit a PER Waiver via the NYU Wagner Career Directory following the directions in the next section.
- Log in to the NYU Wagner Career Directory
- Click “PER Entry into Career Directory” on the right side of your home page
- Click “Add New Experience”
- Select whether you are submitting a Waiver or submitting your 1st or 2nd PER Position
- Complete the form in full and click “Submit”
Please allow 5-10 business days for Career Services staff to review your submission and follow up with you via email.
You are only required to complete one PER, but you have the option of completing two.