Public Service Leaders
NYU Wagner’s Executive MPA for Public Service Leaders teaches seasoned professionals to lead organizations to address the world's most pressing challenges. Students are trained in rigorous methods of management and leadership to develop skills and tools to affect positive change in their field. The program is designed for professionals who have a minimum of eight years of work experience, with increasingly progressive management and leadership responsibility.
Below is an overview of the required coursework. For detailed information, please view the program checksheet.
Core Courses (9 credits)
Students complete two leadership development courses and one executive finance course:
- EXEC-GP 1194 Strategic Leadership for Public Service Organizations (3 credits)
- EXEC-GP 2141 Financial Decision Making and Management (3 credits)
- EXEC-GP 3190 Leadership Confronted (3 credits)
Electives (21 credits)
Students choose electives from a wide array of courses at Wagner, and may also propose coursework in other divisions of NYU.
- You begin with a four-day intensive course in late August prior to your first semester (Strategic Leadership). You take your second core course on alternating Saturday afternoons in your first semester (Financial Decision Making and Management), and your third on a Saturday afternoon or weeknight schedule in your second term (Leadership Confronted).
- Throughout your first year, you join a bi-weekly co-curricular series on Saturday afternoons, featuring skill-building workshops, lectures from public service leaders, and group sessions on executive coaching and academic planning.
- Depending on the credit value of each course, EMPA students complete 10 to 17 courses for the degree.
- EMPA students may graduate in May, September, or January.
- Fall (13.5 credits) + January (3 credits) + Spring (13.5 credits)
- Fall (12 credits) + January (3 credits) + Spring (12 credits) + Summer (3 credits)
- Years 1 & 2: Fall (7.5) + Spring (7.5)
- Years 1 & 2: Fall (6) + Spring (6) + January/Summer (3)