EMPA for Public Service Leaders
NYU Wagner’s EMPA for Public Service Leaders teaches seasoned professionals to lead organizations to address the world's most pressing challenges. Students are trained in rigorous methods of management and leadership to develop skills and tools to affect positive change in their field. The program is designed for professionals who have a minimum of eight years of work experience, with increasingly progressive management and leadership responsibility.
This program is unique in various ways:
A truly executive program. EMPA students have a minimum of eight years of work experience, with increasingly progressive management and leadership responsibility. This creates an executive network of highly accomplished professionals.
- Flexible scheduling. We offer two convenient scheduling options: a weekday evening schedule where you can complete the EMPA in less than one year on a full-time schedule, or in two years on a part-time schedule (and you can alternate between full- and part-time status). We also offer a Saturday schedule that can be completed in less than one year.
- A customizable curriculum. Six of the nine courses are electives, which you can cluster around a specific topic or skillset. You'll work closely with a faculty advisor to develop an individual learning plan based on your unique leadership ambitions and career goals.
- Connected community. The program is cohort-based and relatively small. You'll create powerful and professional connections that will expand your network.
- Coaching and specialized programming. We support EMPA students’ professional development through opportunities and events outside of the classroom. This includes a private speaker series featuring industry leaders, an executive coach to help leverage your leadership, and social and networking events.
We offer two convenient scheduling options for EMPA students:
- You complete the program in less than one year (September – May) going full-time, or in two years going part-time.
- You start the program with one intensive required course taught over four weekdays (9am - 5:30pm) during the last week of August.
- Elective courses are offered on weekday evenings. (Daytime courses are also available.)
- Two required courses meet on Saturday afternoon.
- This option is appealing to international students and those living in and around New York City.
- You complete the program in less than one year, taking two courses each Saturday for 28 weeks (September – May), for the completion of eight courses.
- You start the program with one intensive required course taught over four weekdays (9am - 5:30pm) from August 29 through September 1.
- All other courses are offered during the day on Saturday, beginning at 9am.
- This option is appealing to those who are working full-time during the week and live within commuting distance of New York City.