Intensive Learning in the Field
NYU Wagner's Courses Abroad provide you with an opportunity to enhance conceptual knowledge, learn and interact with leading experts in the field, and apply new skills in a practical setting.
- Accra, Ghana: Explore the political and economic policy issues surrounding hunger and food security.
- Scaling Social Enterprises: Investigate the success factors and challenges of a social enterprise, assess its social impact to date and make recommendations for the scaling of new business opportunities.
- Geneva, Switzerland: Hear firsthand from leaders of international health organizations about trends in world health and analyze the effects of globalization on health policy making.
- Shanghai, China: Learn about the challenges to environment and sustainability and opportunities for economic development posed by rapid urbanization and development.
My Study Abroad Experience in Ghana: Exploring Hunger and Food Security Issues
Karina Yevgenyevna Loktionova (MPA-PNP) spent three weeks traveling across Ghana and interviewing locals to better understand commodity chains and food security in the country.
There are many opportunities to find additional funding for study abroad, but it requires advance planning and some work. Please note that the Office of International Programs does not administer these funding opportunities. Please contact each organization directly.
Students may also consider alternative fund-raising sites such as Grant Space, a service of the Foundation Center, which also offers additional information for securing educational funding.
Another resource to consider is Scholly, a mobile app that helps match students with scholarships best suited to their work experience, area of study, and interests. Scholly is only available for NYU students.
UG/Grad · U.S. Citizen/International · $500 Scholarship Award
American Association of University Women Fellowships and Grants
UG/Grad · U.S. Citizen/International · Awards Vary
American Council of Learned Societies
Ph.D.: Citizenship Status N/A · Awards Vary
Full-Time UG/Grad · U.S. Citizen · Awards up to $20,000 for UG and $30,000 for Grad · To study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
CourseHorse Learner's Scholarship
UG/Grad · American Citizens Only · Awards $1,000
Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund
UG/Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards up to $10,000 · For students who are active in movements for social and economic justice.
Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards $2,500
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
UG/Grad · U.S. Citizenship · Awards range from $500 to $5,000
Humane Studies Fellowships
Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards up to $15,000 annually · Open to IHS Alumni
International Student Travel Video Contest
UG/Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards up to $4,000
Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship
UG/Grad · U.S. Citizen · Awards Vary, average $2,500
UG/Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards Vary
STA Start the Adventure Scholarship
UG/Grad · U.S. Citizen · Awards $2,500
StudySoup Future Innovator Scholarship
UG/Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards $2,000
Wasserman Center Internship Grant
UG/Grad · NYU Student · Awards $1,000
Zebra Tour Guide Scholarship
UG/Grad · Citizenship Status N/A · Awards $1,000 - Essay/Video Contest
In addition to the scholarships listed, we highly recommend you check NYU Global Page.
You should find these search engines helpful to find other options to finance your study in the US and/ or study abroad programs:
- International Scholarships
- Diversity Abroad - Scholarships & Fellowships
- GoAbroad.com - Travel Scholarships & Financial Resources
- International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search (IEFA)
- IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding
- NAFSA - U.S. Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants List
- Scholarships 4 Development
- Studyabroad.com - Study Abroad Scholarships
More students are looking into personal fundraising. Personal fundraising can take the form of requesting people or organizations to sponsor you, organizing fundraising parties, or launching online fundraising campaigns. Fundraising helps cover the cost of study abroad and gets your friends and family involved in your study abroad plans. Some possible crowdfunding online tools you might want to consider.