Courses Outside Wagner
You may take an NYU course outside of Wagner if the other school will allow you to register for it and if the course is pre-approved by Wagner faculty, or if you obtain Wagner faculty approval through the process outlined below.
- You may not take non-Wagner courses in your first term.
- Undergraduate courses cannot count toward any Wagner degree.
- Course credits vary across schools (not all award 1.5 or 3 credits)
- The number of credits assigned to the course by the NYU school offering it will be the number of credits applied toward your Wagner degree.
- You will be financially responsible for the number of credits assigned to the course at the Wagner tuition rate.
- If you receive a final grade lower than "C-" in any course (regardless of host school), it cannot be counted toward your Wagner degree.
- Wagner students are subject to NYU Wagner's add/drop and refund policies.
- Cross-registration timelines vary by school. See school-based guidelines on the menu at left.
- Before registering, the course must be approved by Wagner faculty. If the course is not pre-approved (see STEP 1), submit a petition for faculty review (see STEP 2). It can take up to 4 to 6 weeks for petitions to be reviewed.
- Prepare a concise memo that covers:
- Your reason(s) for wanting to take the course, including demonstration that Wagner does not teach a similar course;
- How the course is relevant to public service;
- How the course fits with your public service academic and career goals;
- A list of the course prerequisites (if any) and how you have met them. If the non-Wagner school has an explicit prerequisite or proficiency policy (for example, Stern), you must outline how you have met that school's requirements.
- Obtain the most up-to-date course syllabus available.
- Submit your memo along with a copy of the course syllabus through the Non-Wagner Course Petition Form (requires log-in with NYU Net ID and password).
- If you are requesting approval for more than one non-Wagner course, or would like to have a first choice and a back-up option reviewed, submit a separate form for each course, all on the same date.
- Faculty will determine whether the course is relevant to your Wagner degree program, and your Student Services Program Advisor will communicate that decision within 4 to 6 weeks of petition submission. Decisions rendered are final.
- If your petition is approved, move to STEP 3.
Review and follow the registration procedure for the relevant school. See school-based guidelines on the menu at left.