Additional PER Information for International Students
NYU Wagner requires all MPA and MUP international students to fulfill the Professional Experience Requirement (PER). The main PER page has information applicable to all students and this page walks you through some of the most commonly asked questions from international students with an F1 visa. For additional support and guidance visit the NYU Wagner Office of Career Services.
- What resources are available to me as I search for a PER position?
- Do I need to find a paid position to fulfill PER?
- I found a paid, off-campus, degree relevant position in the U.S to use for my PER. What do I do next?
- How many opportunities do I have to use CPT?
- How soon can I use my CPT?
1. What resources are available to me as I search for a PER position?
NYU has resources to help you navigate your US employment. The NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) is your primary visa and immigration resource. They should be your first stop for any questions related to visas, status changes, social security numbers, and taxes. They offer walk-ins, appointments, and workshops focused on issues relevant to international students.
The NYU Wagner Office of Career Services (OCS) can assist you in your US job search. Our staff can meet with you to help plan your job search, discuss your US resume, and practice for interviews. OCS has weekly walk-ins and appointments throughout the year.
2. Do I need to find a paid position to fulfill PER?
No. PER positions can be paid or unpaid.
3. I found a paid, off-campus, degree relevant position in the U.S to use for my PER. What do I do next?
Check with the Office of Global Services to ensure that you’re eligible to accept paid off-campus employment in the U.S. Submit your PER position for approval on the NYU Wagner Career Directory. Once you receive confirmation of your PER approval via email you can start the CPT approval process.
You are NOT allowed to start working in a paid, off-campus position until you have received CPT approval and authorization from the Office of Global Services.
4. How many opportunities do I have to use CPT?
You may use CPT up to two times in connection with PER.
5. How soon can I use my CPT?
Students must complete one academic year (2 semesters) before being eligible to begin CPT.