Financial Aid at NYU

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees at NYU Wagner are determined on a per credit basis.  Your total registered credits for a semester will determine your tuition. View NYU Wagner's tuition and fee schedule for the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.

Other Fees and Charges

You may notice other fees and charges on your student bill, such as student health insurance, the international student fee, late or finance charges, or other fees.  Please check for an explanation of other fees that may show up on your student bill (See "Other fees and charges").

Estimating your Living Expenses

As a graduate student in NYC, you should set aside funding to cover living expenses such as housing, transportation, books, and supplies.  The NYU Office of Financial Aid provides annual estimates* of those expenses to assist you with the budgeting process. 

Room and board (off campus) $28,242
Books and supplies $818
Transportation $1,154
Personal Expenses $3,872
Student Basic Health Insurance** $4,977


*Please note that these expenses, based on 2021-2022 rates, are discretionary for students and are included here to assist you in planning your budget.  

**Based on Basic Plan. For more information on student health insurance options, including premiums, enrollment, and waivers, please visit the NYU Student Health Insurance website

How to Apply

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, and you wish to be considered for need-based Federal financial aid, you must complete the current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must list "New York University" as a recipient and include our federal school code number 002785.

Questions about your student loans?

At NYU, federal financial aid and student loans are awarded centrally through the Office of Financial Aid. They are your first point of contact for questions about your federal student loan packageTo speak to a counselor call 212.998.444 or visit their offices at 383 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10012.

Important Information

  • The FAFSA application is available beginning on October 1 and should be completed as soon as possible.  The priority deadline for graduate students is May 1. You can complete the FAFSA and send the results to NYU before you receive your decision letter
  • The FAFSA will be based on “Prior Prior Year” tax data, increasing accuracy of awarding and allowing you to utilize taxes that you have already filed from two years prior.  
  • If you miss NYU's FAFSA priority deadline, you are still encouraged to apply and will be considered for federal student aid, if eligible, but funds become increasingly limited.
  • To learn more about federal and state education funding programs available to New York State residents, visit the NYS Higher Education Servicing Corporation.  New York State residents may be eligible for funding through the NYS Tuition Assistant Program (TAP) program.  Check the NYS Higher Education Servicing Corporation website to see if you are eligible.

If you received a merit scholarship or named fellowship award from NYU Wagner as part of your admissions decision, your award is managed by the NYU Wagner Office of Admissions. You should contact NYU Wagner Admissions via the alias with any questions about your award.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What type of expenses does my scholarship award cover? Unless stated otherwise in your letter, your scholarship will cover your tuition expenses only. Generally, NYU Wagner scholarships do not cover registration fees, health insurance, or other expenses. 

  • Why does my scholarship award amount change from semester to semester? At NYU Wagner, tuition is determined on a per credit basis. Your scholarship changes as your enrollment level changes. Each term, the amount of your scholarship will be dependent on the type of award (e.g. full- or half-tuition) and your actual enrollment for the semester.  All scholarships are finalized shortly before the end of the drop/add period, when student bills are due.

  • I received a scholarship but it has not yet been posted to my student account.  What should I do? In most cases, you don't have to do anything.  Scholarships for the upcoming fall semester are posted between June and August. Scholarships for the upcoming spring semester are posted several weeks before the start of classes.  Your scholarship letter confirms the amount and terms of your scholarship award.  If your scholarship award changes, you will receive a notice from us in writing.  Changes to your student loans are communicated via Albert.  All scholarship awards are generally posted before the start of classes.  However, if classes have started and your scholarship award has not yet been posted, you should email us.

  • I noticed a hold that is preventing my scholarship award from being disbursed.  What should I do?  In most cases this is due to an "enrollment mismatch" or "hold."  Check our disbursement issues guide below to find out how to clear enrollment mismatches and other common types of holds on your student aid.

If you are not given credit for financial aid that was awarded to you, there are a few steps you can take to ensure your aid is reflected in your NYU e-bill.

The most common type of hold students encounter is the "Enrollment Mismatch Hold."  This occurs when the number of credits the Office of Financial Aid expects to see is different from your actual enrollment for the semester.  You can clear an Enrollment Mismatch Hold by following the instructions below.  You can also watch this video:

  1. Log onto the "Albert Student Center"
  2. Click on “View Financial Aid”
  3. Pick the aid year (2022-2023 would be 2023)
  4. Click on “Anticipated Enrollment”
  5. Enter the correct number of points/credits you are enrolled in for the semester. If you were granted a half- or full-time equivalency, please only enter the number of actual points/credits you will be taking. There will be a place to mark that you have the equivalency.
  6. Allow 5-7 business days for your award to be adjusted.

Veteran Benefits at NYU

To learn more about the benefits and resources available to veteran, active military, and armed forces students at NYU, visit the Veteran Benefits site.  This website also has instructions on how to contact the NYU Certifying Official so that you can certify you enrollment in order to access your benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program

NYU Wagner participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, which is designed to help students supplement their Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefits.  The amount of your actual Yellow Ribbon award is determined by your eligibility requirements.

  • Max. NYU Wagner Award: $10,000
  • Max. VA Match: $10,000
  • Total Yellow Ribbon: $20,000

Did you know that over 70% of NYU Wagner grads and students are working in the nonprofit and public sector?  If you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with federal student loans, your employment at many of these organization could qualify you for participation in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.  This program allows you to cancel your remaining student debt after 10 years and 120 qualifying payments.

If you have a U.S. bank account, you can also sign up for direct deposit of your checks.  Direct deposit is the fastest and most secure way for you to receive refunds, stipend payments, and checks.  By selecting this option, your funds are deposited directly to your checking account and the financial institution of your choice. To be eligible for direct deposit, you must have a checking or savings account at a bank that is a member of the Federal Reserve Bank’s Automatic Clearinghouse (most U.S. banks and credit unions are members).

If you are not signed up for direct deposit, your refund, stipend, and payment checks will be mailed to your current mailing address or to your student mailbox at the Puck Building (295 Lafayette Street, 2nd Floor).  After the payment date, you should allow 5-7 business days for your check to arrive.

  1. Sign into NYU home, and go to the "Academics" tab.
  2. Go to the section labeled "PeopleSync: Manage your HR, Payroll, and Stipend Information." Click on the "PeopleSync Login" button.
  3. Click on the "Menu" button in the upper-left hand corner (to the left of "search") and then click on "All About Me."
  4. Go to the "Actions" section and click on "Payment Elections." You will be able to change your current election there. The options are either check or direct deposit. Please be sure to add your bank account information before you click on the button to "change elections."

Many public service scholarship programs allow students who are already enrolled in graduate school to apply as a continuing student.  If you would like to explore additional funding opportunities for your second year, check out our External Scholarship Directory.

NYU Partnership with Scholly

Scholly, a scholarship search tool, provides students free access to a nationwide portfolio of $420 million in potential scholarships. Sign up