Transfer Credits


Transfer credits may be awarded if they were:

  • Earned for graduate credit;
  • Earned with a B or better;
  • Earned prior to matriculation at NYU Wagner (including Wagner course credits while matriculated elsewhere at NYU);
  • Earned within five years of matriculation at NYU Wagner;
  • Earned at an accredited institution of established reputation; and
  • Not applied toward another degree (although graduate credits applied to an advanced certificate are allowable).

Transfer credits that meet these conditions must be approved by the faculty and deemed relevant to your NYU Wagner degree program. Any transfer credits must be approved prior to the start of your second term and are transferred on a credit-for-credit basis.

Decisions regarding transfer credits and waivers are not made prior to matriculation.

Maximum Allowance

The maximum transfer credits allowed by program are:


Maximum Credits







EMPA Public Service Leaders


EMPA Global Policy Leaders


PhD (elective credit only)


Dual degree


Online MHA


Advanced Certificate




To have your prior coursework considered for transfer credit approval, please complete the Transfer Credit Request Form for each course you would like to transfer.

Requests submitted by close of business on the first of the month (5:00pm eastern time) should receive a response by the end of that month. Requests submitted after the first of the month should receive a response by the end of the following month (e.g. a request submitted on October 2 will receive a response by November 30).

Course Waivers

If you believe a potential transfer course is also equivalent to a required NYU Wagner course, you should read the relevant waiver policy to ensure the course's eligibility. You will have an opportunity to submit the necessary course waiver documentation as part of your Transfer Credit Request Form.

Full-Time Enrollment

If you must be enrolled full-time each semester (e.g. you're studying on F1/J1 visa, your external fellowship requires full-time enrollment, etc.), you may not be able to transfer credits if you cannot maintain full-time status each semester. You should confer with your Student Services program advisor.