August 1 for Fall
December 15 for Spring
You must request waivers prior to the start of your second semester.
If you have mastered course material prior to enrolling at NYU Wagner, you should pursue course waivers. If you waive a required course, you take an advanced elective in its place.
Waivers Based on Prior Coursework
If you believe you are eligible to waive a course based on demonstrated mastery of material in prior coursework, read the waiver policies below. If you qualify, submit the required documentation via our online form. In all cases, only credit-bearing courses from accredited universities may be used to apply for a course waiver.
You will be notified of results within 4-6 weeks.
Waivers Based on Waiver Exams
If you do not meet the criteria for a waiver based on prior coursework, you may demonstrate your proficiency through exams in microeconomics, statistics, and financial management.
Exams are offered as follows:
Microeconomics, Statistics: January, April, August, November (100-minute exams)
Financial Management: January, April, August (4-hour exams)
[EMPA Public Service Leader students seeking to waive EXEC-GP 2141 Financial Decision-making and Management must take the CORE-GP 1021 Financial Management Waiver exam.]
NOTE: Waiver exams may only be attempted once. If you don't pass the exam, you must complete the NYU Wagner course.
- CORE-GP 1011, Statistical Methods for Public, Nonprofit, and Health Management
- CORE-GP 1018, Microeconomics for Public Management, Planning and Policy Analysis
- CORE-GP 1020, Managing Public Service Organizations
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management for Public, Nonprofit and Health Organizations
- CORE-GP 1022, Introduction to Public Policy
- EXEC-GP 2141, Financial Decision-making and Management
- HPAM-GP 1830, Introduction to Health Policy and Management
- MSPP-GP 2905 Quantitative Methods for Public Policy
- PADM-GP 2201, Institutions, Governance and International Development
Practice Waiver Exams:
- CORE-GP 1018, Microeconomics for Public Management, Planning, and Policy Analysis
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management for Public, Nonprofit, and Health Organizations (Module 1)
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management for Public, Nonprofit, and Health Organizations (Module 2)
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management for Public, Nonprofit, and Health Organizations (Financial Statements for Module 2)
If you have questions, email email@example.com.