You must request waivers prior to the start of your second semester.
August 1 to get results before the start of the fall semester
December 1 get results before the start of the spring semester
If you have mastered course material prior to enrolling at NYU Wagner, you should pursue course waivers. If you waive a required course, you take an advanced elective in its place. Course waivers do not reduce the total number of credits required for the degree.
AUGUST 2021 NOTE:
Waiver requests submitted after 5:00pm ET on August 1 will receive results at the beginning of October 2021!
Waivers Based on Prior Coursework
If you believe you are eligible to waive a course based on demonstrated mastery of material in prior coursework, read the waiver policies below. If you qualify, submit the required documentation via our online form. In all cases, only credit-bearing courses from accredited universities may be used to apply for a course waiver.
Waiver requests submitted by close of business on the first of the month (5:00pm eastern time) should receive a response by the end of that month. Waiver requests submitted after the first of the month should receive a response by the end of the following month (e.g. a request submitted on October 2 will receive a response by November 30).
Waiver policies are different for each course, so please read each one carefully
- CORE-GP 1011, Statistical Methods
- CORE-GP 1018, Microeconomics
- CORE-GP 1020, Management and Leadership
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management
- CORE-GP 1022, Introduction to Public Policy
- HPAM-GP 1830, Introduction to Health Policy and Management
- MSPP-GP 2905 Quantitative Methods for Public Policy
- PADM-GP 2201, Institutions, Governance and International Development
Course Waiver Request Forms
Waivers Based on Waiver Exams
If you do not meet the criteria for a waiver based on prior coursework, you may demonstrate your proficiency through exams in microeconomics, statistics, and financial management.
Exams are offered as follows:
- Microeconomics: January, April, August, November (120-minute exams)
- Statistics: January, April, August, November (100-minute exams)
- Financial Management: January, April, August, November (2 modules; 2-hours each module)
Deadline to register for August waiver exams: Monday, August 9, 2021.
Waiver exams may only be attempted once. If you don't pass the exam, you must complete the Wagner course.
Additionally, students who have already attempted to complete the Wagner course are no longer eligible to take the waiver exam for that course.
- CORE-GP 1018, Microeconomics (practice exam & suggested answers)
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management (Module 1)
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management (Module 2)
- CORE-GP 1021, Financial Management (Financial Statements for Module 2)
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.