Living in New York


Visit our Moving to New York page for great resources on where and how Wagner students find housing. Also, check-out the NYU Off-Campus Living page for a step-by-step guide on how to go about looking for an apartment in NYC. Additionally, the Wagnerds and NYU Off-Campus Housing Facebook groups are a great way for students to find roommates, rooms for rent, or apartments. 


You may wish to open a bank account before entering the United States. Check with a bank in your home country about the easiest way to transfer sums of money in U.S. dollars from home. Paying for large expenses may take several days to clear U.S. banks.

A social security number is not required for an F-I or J-I student to open a bank account, but you will need proof of identification and immigration status in the U.S. (passport, I-94, and I-20 or DS-2019). Additional items you should bring include:

  • Your NYU ID card;
  • Any identification documents issued by your government;
  • A letter of enrollment (obtained at the StudentLink Center at 383 Lafayette St); and
  • Money or a check to deposit.

New York State law requires that you submit records showing that you are immunized against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) and Meningitis. Questions about how to complete this form should be directed to the NYU Student Health Center at (212) 443-1199, located at 726 Broadway on the 3rd and 4th floors.

If you do not submit proof of vaccination, you must be inoculated at the NYU Student Health Center once you are in New York and pay the relevant fee. Alternatively, you can request information at the NYU Student Health Center about New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene clinics that offer immunization at no charge.

International students are required to purchase the NYU student health insurance plan. Please take time to read the materials you receive from NYU Student Health Insurance since they provide extensive information.

International students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the highest insurance plan. If you would like to change your plan, make sure to do so as soon as possible. If you already have a comprehensive plan that meets the NYU Health Insurance criteria, you may be able to waive coverage with documentation. 

If you have questions regarding health insurance, contact the Student Health Insurance Services at the NYU Student Health Center at 212-443-1020 or

International students are obligated to file tax forms while in the United States, even if they did not work in previous year. Though international students are required legally to file tax forms, it may not mean that taxes must be paid. Before filing your tax forms, be sure to review the OGS Tax Page.