Weighted Lottery for Required Specialization Courses
Wagner has a lottery process for most high-demand required specialization courses (see list below).
At the start of registration, all weighted lottery courses are artificially closed and you should add yourself to the waitlist if you intend to register for the course. Once you add yourself to the waitlist for a lottery course, you have entered the lottery for that course. All students who add themselves to the waitlist by the deadline (generally 5:00pm EST on the Monday after the start of registration, but see specific timelines below) will be considered for seats in the course.
It is your responsibility to add yourself to the waitlist for the lottery course and not leave it in your "shopping cart." You can check that your list of waitlisted courses under the Enrolled Courses section on the Homepage. If you haven't submitted your shopping cart, you cannot be considered for the lottery.
Your position on the waitlist has no effect on your chances of entering the course. If you intend to have a back-up course on your schedule, you must use the Swap function in Albert (see the Student Registration section on the NYU Registrar's website for detailed registration instructions on swapping classes and editing swaps).
Selection for seats in the lottery courses will be based on weighted factors, particularly whether the course is a requirement for your specialization and how many semesters you have remaining at Wagner.
If you do not earn a seat in the course lottery, you will be placed on the waitlist.
Required Specialization Courses in Weighted Lottery (All Sections)*
Any student who wants to register for one of the courses below must do so via the process outlined above.
- HPAM-GP 1833, Health Services Management
- PADM-GP 2106, Community Organizing
- PADM-GP 2110, Strategic Management and Leadership
- PADM-GP 2132, Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation by Design
- PADM-GP 2135, Human Resources: Leading Talent Development
- PADM-GP 2140, Public Economics and Finance
- PADM-GP 2170, Performance Measurement & Management
- PADM-GP 2171, Program Analysis and Evaluation
- PADM-GP 2310, Understanding Social Enterprise
- PADM-GP 2311, Social Impact Investment
- PADM-GP 2407, Advocacy Lab: How to Make Change Happen
- PADM-GP 2411, Policy Formation and Policy Analysis
- PADM-GP 2875, Estimating Impacts in Policy Research
- PADM-GP 2902, Multiple Regression and Intro to Econometrics
- PADM-GP 4130, Fundamental of Accounting
- PADM-GP 4450, Strategic Communications for Advocacy
- URPL-GP 2608, Urban Economics
*If a required specialization course is not on this list, it is not part of the lottery because it is not expected to exceed enrollment capacity.
Weighted lottery timeline: Spring term 2019
November 12: Registration opens for Spring 2019 Term courses
November 19: Lottery closes at 5:00pm EST. Students can continue to add themselves to the waitlist for these courses after the deadline, but will not be included as part of the lottery.
December 4: Students can check their Spring 2019 schedule in Albert to view lottery outcomes.
If you have any questions about the lottery process after reading through the instructions above, please email email@example.com.